Sign in to follow this  
gold3nman

Ultra-D VS. SLI-DR EXPERT

Not sure if anyone has asked this question before. I tried a search but to no avail. I currently have a broken Ultra-D. The SATA does not work anymore and the chipset fan doesnt even spin now. This was one of the original versions that has the four power connectors and the jumper to change the mem voltage to go abouve 3.2v I am planning on RMA'ing this board but in the mean time I what to order a new one so I am not out of a computer while its out. I am looking at the SLI-DR Expter as a replacement. I want to know if there is any significant difference between the new version of the Ultra-D and the SLI-DR Expert. One thing to note is I will NEVER use the SLI. I do not have the money to have two video cards. Is there a performance difference rather than the SLI between these two boards? Thanks in advance. Gold3nMan

I've got an ultra-D with about 6M old

versions that has the four power connectors and the jumper to change the mem voltage to go abouve 3.2v
whils i understand there have been a few revisions the board design as u described remains unchanged.

So basically your asking what is the difference between Expert & Ultra. which u can find from LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert & LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D

Im not looking for the physical difference between them but any kind of performance difference. Will I get any better of an o/c out of the sli-dr expert over the ultra-d.

depends on your memory. the ultra-d was tuned for tighter timings-utt, etc. the expert changed that with bios changes (that you cannot see if are a mere mortal) that accomodate slower (looser timings) but bigger ram.

What is the DRAM votage range on the EXPERT? I know that the ultra-d can go up to 4.0v if you move the jumper. Does the expert allow you to go up to 4.0v without the moving of a jumper? Also is there the same control with the cpu voltage as with the ultra-d? (I.E. being able to do 1.45v with 113%) Thanks.

Hey I just wanted to add my experience since I have owned both boards for a long period and have had a lot of different CPUs and Ram and other parts swapping in both...

Anyway as has already been said the newer revision does not change the things you mention. I had the revion 3 LP UT Ultra-D

There are two versions of the Ultra-D AFAIK. one with Sata1 chip and one with Sata2 chip. Otherwise identical. I thinke LP Ultra-D is Sata1 and LP UT ULTRA-D is SATA2, but thats just a guess on my part... I also think the one has only 1 LAN port rather than the 2 on the UT-Ultra-D

Compared to the UT-Ultra-D the Expert is a significantly better OCing platform IMO. I believe that the true server type 8-pin aux power connection in addition to the 24 Pin main power connection is a big part of this. Also the layout moves the CPU closer to the power connectors. The four phase power architecture I also believe is a big factor.

Bottom Line, My CH5 Mushkin RAM OC marginally better in the Expert. Stable 248 22257 instead of 242 22257 on the Ultra-D. Both at 3.1vDimm

My CPU OCs seem significantly better. My Opty 168 topped out at 2.7GHz and took a lot more voltage on the Ultra-D. I'm getting 2.85GHz at less voltage on the Expert. I am also getting a much higher OC at default voltage on the Expert.

Bottom line IMO is the Expert is the pinicle of 939 NF4 MBs in virtually every way.

The fact that it is 8x SLI rather than true dual 16X is a red herring. Like AGP 8x versus 4x was. It is totally meaningless. I even don't by the argument that this will matter in the future. If your shelling out the king of dough for dual top of the line vid cards, you will be running them in the best MB available, not an old MB.

Hope this helps

OM

Thanks alot, OatMan. That is exactly what im looking for. I am going to order the SLI-DR EXPERT on thursday from zipzoomfly. Its a little more than monarch @ $190 but I get free two day shipping. If anyone knows where to get it less let me know thanks.