Geil Value Serie max overclock

Hi all :) First, sorry for my bad bad english :nod: Here my problem:

FSB 270, x4, ram at 200MHz

test22vz.th.jpg

If I set fsb to 270, multiplier to 10 and DDR to 200MHz, why my system doesn't boot? Is 270 the real limit of my ram or it is a lot lot lot lower? :confused: I can boot only if I set fsb to 235 and mul x10 :confused: If I change the mul to something different than 4x, the system doesn't boot even if I set the dividers on ram :confused:

FSB 270, x4, ram at 200MHz

If I set fsb to 270, multiplier to 10 and DDR to 200MHz, why my system doesn't boot? Is 270 the real limit of my ram or it is a lot lot lot lower? :confused: I can boot only if I set fsb to 235 and mul x10 :confused: If I change the mul to something different than 4x, the system doesn't boot even if I set the dividers on ram :confused:

Have you used the "AMD overclocking guide"?

If you set FSB to 270 you have to lower LDT/FSB ratio to 3. Take same time reading that part of the guide.

When it comes to memory, have you Memtested your RAM? It would be very usefull to at least know what they're capable of... timings... volts.

To reach a good overclock you need to methodically and separately test out your CPU and RAM.

Yes, i've read the guide. So far I've found these value:

MAX FSB: 320

MAX CPU CLOCK: 2850 (at 1.550v)

The problem is the RAM. At 1:1 with a multiplier of x10 i can reach 235 MHz (so FSB 235, LDT/FSB 4x). When i set the ram to go async, I can boot only if the max ram mhz is lower than 210MHz. Instead if I set the cpu multiplier to 4x I can reach easily 260 MHz rock solid (tested in memtest (4 hours), 32mega superpi).

The value I use on my ram are 2.5-4-4-7 at 2,60v. If I set 2.80v the system hangs up :confused: I can set only 2,50-2,70.

260Mhz seems to be out of the question; must be somekind of misscalculation. To test out RAM max you correctly set the divider to 1:1. That it's get lower than 210Mhz isn't strange, since it's value RAM which aren't supposed to really overclock well. Most importantly is to choose what it stabile and without errors in tests.

What happens if your testing something safe like FSB 260, which is well bellow CPU max and should according to your information work without a hitch, and use 5:4 divider (RAM will run just under 210Mhz).

Another thing: will it help if you set your memory to 2.5-4-4-8?

What happens if your testing something safe like FSB 260, which is well bellow CPU max and should according to your information work without a hitch, and use 5:4 divider (RAM will run just under 210Mhz).

Those are exactly the actual settings I'm using. I think I'm rock solid (cpu voltage 1,390v, ram voltage 2,50v) (tested with 32mega superpi, about 2 hours of Quake IV).

EDIT: i can boot only if the cpu multiplier is 9x, at 10x the system doesn't boot. (so max ram mhz is about 212)

Another thing: will it help if you set your memory to 2.5-4-4-8?

No, even with relaxed timings like those I can't boot when ram frequency is greater than 210.

The strange thing is that at 1:1 I'm rock solid at 235 FSB, if I set the ram dividers I'm rock solid only lower than 210MHz. :confused:

The strange thing is that at 1:1 I'm rock solid at 235 FSB, if I set the ram dividers I'm rock solid only lower than 210MHz.

Actually that's pretty strange. However, you'll gain much more from having the CPU running as fast as possible (ok, within the limits of vcore you feel comfortable with).

Those are exactly the actual settings I'm using. I think I'm rock solid (cpu voltage 1,390v, ram voltage 2,50v) (tested with 32mega superpi, about 2 hours of Quake IV).

Don't view SuperPi as a real stress test. To avoid getting unnecassary troubles - even if you can play Quake - take your time and test thorougly your system: for example OCCT and if it passes go for a blended test in Prime95 on high priority for about 10 hours. Otherwise you might get an unpleasent surprise of a corrupted OS or something similare.

I've found out that I can reach the 250 MHz on DDR (as stated by CPU-Z) only with cpu moltiplier lower than 8x. The max stable fsb after some more tests is 360. Now i'm stress testing the system at 360x7 with ram running at 252 MHz (120). Testing in progress ... :cool: Many thanx for the advices :)

I recently upgraded from geil value to Ballistix best choice i ever made.

I had a ton of problems with running my old 3000+winchester @ 2.4 (275x9 133mhz divider) and keeping the ram at a decent speed. The ONLY speed the geil would do at 2.4 was 170-180mhz. The geil i had even had alot of issues trying to do 250x9 x4 166div wich = 204mhz on the ram. In fact I was never able to squeeze more than 2-3MHZ! out of the ram @ 3-3-3-8 (+.2v)