Strange DFI Lanparty UT 250GB Troubles :(

Hello guys!

New to the forums, thanks for the help!

I've been having a string of very strange problems lately. A friend of mine had an extra pair of OCZ gold edition PC4000 laying around and gave them to me. After installing them, I had regular stability for a couple of days.

I decided to update the nvidia chipset drivers (GART / USB / IDE SW / ETC) and during the installation I got a BSOD and spontaneous reboot. I switched out RAM to the old Kingston HyperX PC4000 (ran stable for a good year with NO problems) without any luck still. I then tried with just one stick of RAM and finally was successful in installing the Nvidia drivers.

At this point, the computer is still very unstable. The computer even refuses to run the built-into-BIOS memtest utility. When I try to run memtest, it seems like a string of garbled text QUICKLY flashes on the screen which leads to another spontaneous reboot. I have tried reflashing the BIOS to 2 or 3 different revisions. The first boot post reflash allows me to do a memtest just fine which passes with flying colors. I then try to boot into Windows and get a spontanous reboot AGAIN! Now when I try to memtest, it again quickly flashes garbled text and reboots. This is now a never ending cycle.

So again,

Reflash ---> Run memtest ---> success at normal BIOS settings

REBOOT ---> Run memtest ---> garbled text flashes ---> spontaneous reboot (cycles until I physically turn off the PC, if I try to boot into Windows I BSOD)

Reflash---> (REPEAT THE WHOLE CYCLE)

Does the garbled text indicate that my BIOS is becoming corrupted since it is built into the BIOS or does it mean something else? Is my motherboard at fault? My CPU?

I am at wits end trying to troubleshoot this and I've been building computers for YEARS!

I apologize for the loooong post, I hope you were able to figure out what I was trying to say.

Don't hesitate to ask for additional information!

Regards,

Ishakir

Guest Blooz1

Let's get some info -

1. When you changed to the OCZ ram from the HyperX, how did you do it? Did you just turn off the rig, take out the HyperX, and put in the OCZ?

2. Did you change any settings after installing the OCZ, and, if so, what were they?

3. Did you just flash to a new bios "on top" of the original bios?

BTW, what are you using for a PSU? (Brand/Model/Wattage) It should be in your sig!

Let's get some info -

1. When you changed to the OCZ ram from the HyperX, how did you do it? Did you just turn off the rig, take out the HyperX, and put in the OCZ?

2. Did you change any settings after installing the OCZ, and, if so, what were they?

3. Did you just flash to a new bios "on top" of the original bios?

BTW, what are you using for a PSU? (Brand/Model/Wattage) It should be in your sig!

I apologize for not having my PSU in the sig, problem fixed...

1) I changed the RAM about 3 days ago and I turned off the PC, pulled the Kingston sticks out and popped the HyperX ones in without messing with any jumpers or anything.

2) I did not change any settings initially, during which time everything seemed to be stable which eventually changed all on its own. I believe the crashes during the Nvidia driver install were attributed to the RAM as well.

3) I flashed the memory using tmods BIOS CD which had the 05/04 BIOS on it as well as the flashing utility. I am unsure whether or not I flashed "on top", I was not aware that there was another way of doing it? Or perhaps you mean if I did it through Windows via winflash or something, which is not the case.

Thanks for the reply! Greatly appreciated...

Hope that helps,

Ishakir

Guest Blooz1

Thanks for the additional info, Ishakir - it lets us know what you've actually done.

But I do have another question - are you running most of your bios settings on "auto"?

I've learned that with DFI boards it's a good idea to go into the bios and "load optimized settings", save and then reboot before turning off the rig to change ram modules. This "flushes" all the old ram settings out of bios before any new settings are made. (I have to say honestly that I don't know if this is necessary when using "auto" settings, but it couldn't hurt.)

The same thing should be done before reflashing the bios. Once the flash is done, you should again reboot and "load optimized settings" and save. I always let the rig reboot fully into Windows, then reboot once more and go into the bios to redo my settings.

At this stage I don't know if a good cmos clear would help, but there's a "right" way to do this on DFI's - check this thread (ignore the pics about the power connections, just scroll down - this was written for nF4 boards!)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...16&postcount=19

Thanks again for the replies.

Br1229: Unfortunately, I cannot even boot into Windows at this stage, I think the problem is much more than driver corruption. I believe I am having some sort of hardware failure but I'm unable to figure out which component it actually is.

Update: I popped the Kingston back in (this stuff was ROCK stable at 240 x 10 for the passed year) and the PC hangs at the initial post screen right after the BIOS memory. At 200 x 10, however, the computer posts and memtest runs alright but Windows is still extremely unstabe (which may not mean anything since I may need a re-install as it stands).

Why would my prior, completely stable, OC no longer work? What could be causing this deterioration? Settings are exactly as they were when the computer used to be stable...

Is my mobo shot? Could it be the CPU?

#0, I have seen the same problem before. You probably have a corrupt BIOS. Follow the BIOS flashing sticky on this site (which includes some waiting time, and removal of battery and several other specific guidelines that will flash the BIOS correctly.) and Im sure your problem will disssapear.