opty 146 or x2 3800

I actually thought his original question was well written and really didn't need anybody posting apples to oranges. He wants 3 ghz. Wasn't asking anuthing about Multi threaded apps or multi-tasking in any way. I wanted 3 ghz myself, If I could have found an X2 that had a shot at it I would have went for it too.

True, but in the end he needs to think about what he will be using it for so he can choose and get the best performance. Speed won't necessarily be his key factor.

I doubt he's going for the World Benchmarking Competition, or anything so he should get what suits his needs best rather than what gives the highest clock.

Myself I'm goin' w/ a single core oppie(For now anyway). For a coupla' reason's . First because I'm new to nf4(Might be abit easier For me to OC).Seconed because it might be abit cheaper. I suppose it depend's on what yer' doin'. X2's I believe can nearly double processor mips.(In the old daze addin' a seconed processor added about 50%)third 25%))4th nearly redundant))) But the opteron's changed all that. Especially w/ the seconed processor on die. The only bottle-neck I've read about is memory bandwidth where the memory has abit o' trouble keepin' up with those hungry processors. Overall mhz isn't allways everything.Heh..... But sometimes it is.(Depend's on what yer' doin I suppose.) My lil' mobile has never had any trouble doin' anything I wanted it to.(Til' my board started goin' bad anyway) I'd safely imagine an X2 @2.5ghz will do just about anything I want it to also.LOL Anyway that's enough outta' me. Back to readin' see if I can learn sumptin'.