opty 146 or x2 3800

hi

im gonna be getting the DFI NF4 expert Mobo soon but i cant make up my mind what cpu to go for i mean id like a x2 cpu but i wanna try for 3.0ghz OC. i have good watercooling atm & my 3500+ is OCed at 2800ghz but thats on my asus a8n & thats as much as i can get with volt options on it without doin a mod.

i know how gr8 the optys are for OC but i dont see much for the x2 3800 OC whats ppl getting with the x2 3800 on watercooling?

you dont say

what im askin is whats the average highest overclock on the x2 3800+ on watercooling coz i would like to get near 3.0ghz. but if thats not possible then i will go for the opty save a few quid n get a x2 laters

but im starting to see a 2.5ghz thing with most the sigs im seeing for the x2 3800. is this the case? or will it go higher

The highest OC that I've seen for an X2 3800+ is 2.8GHz. I haven't seen anyone reach 3GHz with an X2 3800+. My X2 3800+ is running at 2.4GHz right now, it still can go higher though but I'm satisfied at 2.4GHz atm.

Since your goal is to hit 3Ghz or more, definitely go for the Opty. Those procs are really good in oc'in.

you dont say

what im askin is whats the average highest overclock on the x2 3800+ on watercooling coz i would like to get near 3.0ghz. but if thats not possible then i will go for the opty save a few quid n get a x2 laters

but im starting to see a 2.5ghz thing with most the sigs im seeing for the x2 3800. is this the case? or will it go higher

Well, you should research; and get some manners.

I doubt anything I say is nothing you haven't already read, but since you ARE comparing dual core vs single core, inadvertantly, I will give you the benifit of the doubt.

I have ax x2 3800 that needs 1.68v to make it stable at 2800. I just ordered an opti 170 and have my fingers crossed that I can take it to at least this using 1.45v vcore or less. Anything above 1.45vcore drives my PWM temps too high, and I want to keep this machine silent.

Really, if your goal is 3.0, then do some reading, and realize that 3.0 is much easier to attain with single core.

But, to tease ya a little, folks are getting there with dual core as well :P

Read up bro.

To be honest unless you plan to do multi tasking your going to find the single core is still IMHO the best route to go. I have both an FX-60 and an FX-57 and for all of the games my kids play (COD2, Fear, etc) the FX-57 matched with an x1900xt still offers the most bang for the buck. I also have several single core 146 and 148's that will all hit 2.8 @ 1.45 volts or less while the three 175 opterons I purchased not a one would push above 2.7 stable without pushing the voltage up above the 1.6 volt. There is a lot less luck required to get a good single core to overclock versus a good dual core.

get some manners?

all i want to know is if the x2 3800+ could get near 3.0ghz. i dont need someone to come on and tell me that they are 2 diffrent things thats just stating the obvious & a complete waste of time tbh, if they arent here to help then they shouldnt post.

if i can get 2.8ghz or more out a dual core then i would consider getting one insted of the opty. for the sake of a 200mhz or less i would rather have another core

as for reserch well i wasnt seeing much & didnt have the time.

thanks for posts & info ppl

Yes...you should get some manners dude, your're asking opinion on two different procs, obviously a single core proc overclocks better, but it always depends on the usage, games or multi-theaded apps....so you're answer should be pretty obvious...in which case...do some research...

your obviously not here to help so stop posting plz.

i see you have a 3800 by your siq but your not being helpful & telling me how far it will go which is the question after all jeeeez

i asked if the 3800 could get near 3.0ghz and insted of telling me you just stated the obvious diffrence between the 2

If you want a dual core, get an opteron 165, don't waste your time with a 3800+. The opteron overclocks much better, and you should be able to manage 2.6-2.8ghz which is good for dual core.

And you are being rude. These guys are telling you the cpus are two totally different things. They've taken the time to read your thread, respect them for their trouble.

And they're right. How important is whether the rig is future-proof to you. If you want future-proof, you might want to think more towards dual-core. What will you use the system for. If it's for gaming, then a single-core at a higher speed would totally outpace a dual-core at a lower speed. If you care more about multi-tasking than gaming, then get a dual-core.