Is this a Faulty CPU?

Hi guys

At the moment im having a really annoying issue with my 3500+ getting to run on my Board. i beleive it is a faulty CPU but would just like to double check.

The 3500+ chip is supposed to run at a core speed of 2.2 gig which is achieved with a FSB of 200 and a Multiplier of 11 in the motherboard bios. Unfortunately on my board and it will only boot running at 2 gig core speed (achieved with a 200mhz FS and a multiplier of 10), anything more and the machine wont Post.

Also on the board when you select “load optimised defaults” which queries your hardware to see the default speeds and settings and applies it in your bios it should use it will not post. Thje only way to get the setup to post is to underclock the chip to run at a core of 2 gig.

I have tried multiple sticks of ram and am not doing any OC'ing at all.

Is my assumption right?

wouldn't it automatically detect what it needs from when you load optimised defaults?

another thing i have just discovered is that if i go into bios and set the multiplier to x4 save and exit, go back it, change multiplier to 11, save/exit the machine will reboot and ru, once, When i turn it off and repower it wont post. i have to clear cmos and do that again.

i have changed PSU/RAM/RMAd the board so it seems the issue was the chip all along

wouldn't it automatically detect what it needs from when you load optimised defaults?

another thing i have just discovered is that if i go into bios and set the multiplier to x4 save and exit, go back it, change multiplier to 11, save/exit the machine will reboot and ru, once, When i turn it off and repower it wont post. i have to clear cmos and do that again.

i have changed PSU/RAM/RMAd the board so it seems the issue was the chip all along

No, as a preset value, vdimm is set to 2.6 volts in the bios - you need to change it to 2.7 manually.

You mean the cpu multiplier - 4x200 = 800mhz? or the ldt multipler you are changing it to 4?

Try increasing the vdimm to 2.7 first...

temperature is fine, hovering around 30 in windows so it aint a lack of thermal paste or anything

I was changing the CPU/FSB multiplier to 4, it boots into windows and when you bring up CPU-Z it shows core speed of 800 mhz. When i change it to 10 it shows 2000mhz. On the odd occasion i have gotten into windows at multiplier 11 it is showsing at 2200 mhz

when its in windows it is rock solid and has no issues, it is just getting it to post which is the annoying part.

i will try upping the VDIM when home and see what happens

Hi Guys

well i tried that but still no joy.

I can still get the pc booting into bios, change the multiplier to x4 on the CPU/FSB ratio so cores running at 800 mhz (4 x 200fsb = 800). Save exit bios it boots go back into bios and change multiplier to 11 (11x 200fsb - 2200) save and exit and it wil boot and run fine. I am typing this on the machine as i speak :)

It does not matter if i change my voltages or not but the moment i power the machine off it will not reboot unless i clear the bios and go through the process again.

ANy other ideas?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS? You can also try and reflash your BIOS. Another thing I think why it wouldn't POST is because of your PSU. It's probably not giving the mobo enough juice.

hmm welll

I just flashed my bios again with the 2005/12/07 and same thing still occurs

Surely there must be someone out there running a 3500+ on this board who has had no issues or the issues they had they resolved

hmm welll

I just flashed my bios again with the 2005/12/07 and same thing still occurs

Surely there must be someone out there running a 3500+ on this board who has had no issues or the issues they had they resolved

if thats a 800 mhz fsb cpu did you manualy set the cpu ldt to 4x?