Sign in to follow this  
Mulehunter

Koolance and DFI Lanparty SLI-Dr

Hello! Im new to this forum, (and im a noob) but i was extremely intereseted in matchingup my DFI mobo with a Koolance liquid system.

I hope someone has had experiences with this company and can give me some sort of advice especially because im new to liquid cooling and i will try to create a massive liquid system (cpu, chipset and vga) from scratch using only my hands and a wooden spoon!

But seriously, my priority is the NOISY 7800 card which squeals like godzilla when i play...

My main problem was that having a DFI Lanparty SLi-DR and the setup of this mobo is completely different from the one i see in most pics in reviews and on the koolance site... For example, the RAM is horizontal above the CPU in my mobo and the CPU is much more central Do you think there might be any conflicts in using a ICM-505 in a thermaltake armor?

I really want to switch to liquid cooling because my rig is extremely noisy and i wanted to know if liquid cooling is effectively quieter than air....especially when under pressure ex: when playing quake 4 or COD2 (wakes up everyone at night)

My specs are in the sig :)

The SLI-DR "Expert" is the board that has the ram slots on the side of the CPU. Also the nf4 chip is set in between the two PCIE slots rather than right under the PCIE1 slot.

I can't give advice on water cooling setup but the noise would as load as your pump and fans on the radiator. I imagine you'll still need some case ventilation for the MB too.

Edit

Expert board

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Picture/expert1.jpg

SLI-DR

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Product_Pictur...0%20SLI-DR1.jpg

Guest FZ1
But seriously, my priority is the NOISY 7800 card which squeals like godzilla when i play...)

Get yourself an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 rev 3 and that'll take care of it.

AFTER A CLOSER ANALYSIS I FOUND OUT IT ISNT THE VIDEO CARD BUT THE MOTHERBOARD'S FAN THAT MAKES ALL THAT RACKET! IT'S INSANEE!!!! :eek:

Any suggestions? or should i create a new thread?

heres my advice.....first off...the koolance water cooling solutions are kinda for n00bs that want watercooling...i should know...i have a koolance exos2.

that being said...the unit you are looking at....i dont really like the looks of it, for the same price i would get the exos2....but koolance is really entry level water cooling, and doesnt do much better if any than a good aftermarket hsf..imho

that unit would never handel a cpu, chipset, and vid card...it can barely handle just cpu.

if you are really serious about wc'ing look into danger den

just my 2 cents

In smartgaurdian you can lower your chipset fan speed, I run my at 41 and its near silent. (45 degress for me @ 41 setting)

OR...

See if you can get your hands on an evercool VC-RE

http://jab-tech.com/Evercool-VC-RE-Twinkli...er-pr-2291.html

Its one of the most popular chipset coolers and will fit with a videocard sitting on top

OR..

you can use the 2nd PCI-e slot and install whatever cooler you want for the chipset.

just some suggestions !

heres my advice.....first off...the koolance water cooling solutions are kinda for n00bs that want watercooling...i should know...i have a koolance exos2.

that being said...the unit you are looking at....i dont really like the looks of it, for the same price i would get the exos2....but koolance is really entry level water cooling, and doesnt do much better if any than a good aftermarket hsf..imho

that unit would never handel a cpu, chipset, and vid card...it can barely handle just cpu.

if you are really serious about wc'ing look into danger den

just my 2 cents

I wouldn't say that much about koolance. I have a koolance system and it cools my cpu, gpu and chipset amazingly good.

See if you can get your hands on an evercool VC-RE

Interesting! But Im guessing the pins (as in screws or whatever they are) wont match up right?

There are quite a few people using them and reporting good temps too.

I did see one pic of it installed and one pin did look kinda cockeyed. But from what I've read here people are saying it just pops right on with no trouble.