"Best Comp for $1500"

Kekambas

Ok, i think i've got this thing pretty well figured out. It is trying to achieve the best 3dmark scores while using great components:

(These prices are the lowest i've found, either from my employee discount at PCCLUB, or from newegg/zzf/etc)

Mobo: DFI SLI-DR $170

CPU: Opteron 144 1.8ghz $150

Ram: GSkill 2gb PC4000 Black RAM $200

Vid Card: EVGA 7800gt x 2 @ $290 = $580

Case: CoolerMaster Ammo $75

PSU: OCZ 520w $130

HDs: WD 80gb x 2 @ $55 = $110, RAID 0

Drives: Lite-on DVD+-RW $40

Big Typhoon: $45

Total: $1500

Note: please don't change any of the components (ie. motherboard, big typhoon) without proper reasoning, but if you have "better" recommendations for less, please let me know.

The only thing in terms of the "look" that I wouldnt mind changing is the case. We sell this thing at work, and I think it looks nice and clean on the inside. Right now i'm running a Soprano case. I used to love this thing with all the orange fans, but i HATE side fans. If you can tell me a decent case, let me know.

Thanks to all the cool peeps on DFI-Street.

cz

wow.... just..... wow....

6 years ago, $1500 got me a Duron 700 with a Gigabyte mobo and 256Mb or RAM lol.... oh and Geforce2.....

i got no other recommendation for that setup. sweet!! 2 thumbs up from me...

i would switch out the wd 80 gb drives and put in their place the hitachi 80 gb drives for the same price, the main differnce being that with the hitachi's u can enable sata 3.0 gb/s with the hitachi feature tool, im pretty sure those wd's are only sata 150

i would switch out the wd 80 gb drives and put in their place the hitachi 80 gb drives for the same price, the main differnce being that with the hitachi's u can enable sata 3.0 gb/s with the hitachi feature tool, im pretty sure those wd's are only sata 150

Hey buddy, thanks for the tip. However, since i work at PCCLUB, i can RMA WD hard drives, and rather than having to wait 4-6 weeks for them to send me new ones, PCCLUB will GIVE me new harddrives rather than having to wait.

great idea, though, and for other people, reading this, I would recommend the Hitachi drives instead.

cz

i actually would opt for Seagate 7200.9 80Gb SATA 2 instead. probably $5 more but 5year warranty and SATA2 and alot quieter than the Hitachi. alot.

BUT i myself, use the WD 80Gb SATA1 (damn gotta change the sig again), and the burst for RAID-0 is very small with SATA2. nothing that i can notice anyway. Hdtach differst only 10-30Mb. and at 280Mb/s, it doesnt really noticeable.

Just a couple thoughts, though your computer is looking pretty damn nice right now. :)

Instead of dual 7800GTs for $580, you could purchase a single X1900XTX for around the same prcie, I've seen them range from $500 to around $640 or so, but you don't have to get the top-of-the-line overclocked one since you can do that yourself. Call it the same price then, for roughly the same performance but runs cooler and demands less power.

Since you don't need Sli anymore (and you can mod it in the future anyways...) you can opt for the Ultra-D and save a few bucks. The saved money could go towards an aftermarket cooler for the x1900xtx.

Now then, I see you chose evga as your brand, which is a good move. If you intend to upgrade in the next 3 months to better video processing you might as well stick with them and just pay a few hundred bucks more for a pair of whatever comes out next. Also keep in mind the 7900GT might be coming out sometime this week/month and supposedly will be priced around $300.

One last thing, if you really do intend to use Sli I heavily recommend spending a bit more for the Sli-DR Expert as the added apace will definitely allow better aiflow, and more room for aftermarket cooling if you want to go that route.

As for a case...well I'm partial to Lian-Li's though they are a little pricey (and plain to look at for some).

Just a couple thoughts, though your computer is looking pretty damn nice right now. :)

Instead of dual 7800GTs for $580, you could purchase a single X1900XTX for around the same prcie, I've seen them range from $500 to around $640 or so, but you don't have to get the top-of-the-line overclocked one since you can do that yourself. Call it the same price then, for roughly the same performance but runs cooler and demands less power.

Since you don't need Sli anymore (and you can mod it in the future anyways...) you can opt for the Ultra-D and save a few bucks. The saved money could go towards an aftermarket cooler for the x1900xtx.

Now then, I see you chose evga as your brand, which is a good move. If you intend to upgrade in the next 3 months to better video processing you might as well stick with them and just pay a few hundred bucks more for a pair of whatever comes out next. Also keep in mind the 7900GT might be coming out sometime this week/month and supposedly will be priced around $300.

One last thing, if you really do intend to use Sli I heavily recommend spending a bit more for the Sli-DR Expert as the added apace will definitely allow better aiflow, and more room for aftermarket cooling if you want to go that route.

As for a case...well I'm partial to Lian-Li's though they are a little pricey (and plain to look at for some).

SLI-DR is a lower price, and we had lots of problems with the Expert boards in my shop, but i think i found the culprit that created 12 "bad" mobos: three letters: SPD!

what does better in 3dmark05 (all i care about): 2 7800gt SLI, or x1900xtx????

what does better in 3dmark05 (all i care about): 2 7800gt SLI, or x1900xtx????

Probably the x1900xtx, especially is overclocked. Stock hits around 11k or more, I believe some have been able to get near 13k, though that may be with watercooling. It will probably handle shading and other high-end modes better as well.

To be fair though I probably won't buy another Ati card in the future, mostly because their drivers don't work well for me and catalyst is a joke. Up to you though.

Two thumbs up, though I'd swap the HDDs for Seagate (but thats more of a personal preference). Technodanvan's comments regarding performance/cooling on the graphics cards is definitely something to consider. But I'm running a single 7800GT and am happy with the performance.

Good luck and enjoy the adrenaline rush (while it lasts) that comes with putting together a new rig!

Get the ultra-d and mod to sli, pickup a sli bridge from ebay or pm me i have extras.

Id get:

Ultra-d: 130

Gskill HZ 2gb: 190

OCZ Modstream 520: 100

2xHitach SATA 2 80g: 110 total, enable sata2, mod ultrad to sata2, next best to raptor

1900xt: 450-500, this thing blows away nvidia...

CASE: 75-100 (shipping is extra on cases)

opteron 165: 330 (heatsink is nice, heatpipes alum fins, copper bottom,

needs lapping) + dual core is the future..

cd drive nec 3550a: 40

gaming mouse g5: 50 //if you can

NEWER Ultra-D's no longer mod to SLI, it is a fact. Newer ones have different chips, and the points that you bridge are no longer there. The same goes for the nf4-d that you could mod to SATAII and SLI.

Yea, I used to own 2 ATI cards when my dad was into them; then i went "rogue" on him and tried nVidia. i've never gone back since. Perhaps now is time to try....I dunno....i LOVE nvidia drivers.

Also, as we were closing down the shop tonight, we ran 2 7800gts SLI in an Expert board with a 4000+, and they gave us a 3DMark05 score of ~12k on mild oc'ing (also, this was not a fresh Windows install; it was an install off of the EVGA sli board). I wouldn't doubt that i can break 13k after OC and fresh install.

however, by the time I get around to doin this, the 7900gt's may be out, and it'll be great to see what they do, as well as their price.

cz

p.s. to everyone recommending other HD's, PLEASE read one of my previous statements above about my own "personal" warranty I get from PCCLUB on WD stuff, cuz that's all they sell.

p.s.s. also, WHERE did you find the OCZ520ADJSLI for $100?