which mobo to use for infineon ce-6?

bwana

I cant believe how many threads there are with people who cant get their expert boards to boot. And orange slots better than yellow slots? Apparently there are settings in the bios not accessible to mere mortals that affect memory timings and the predilection for the board to use specific chips. For example, the ultra-D was tuned to use low latency utt chiips. the expert board seemed to have a bios tuned for looser timings and larger memory (2 gig) Ucc chips. Of course there were modified bioses released (704-2bt?) that changed magical settings which are not documented well. I am planning to use

cpu: opteron 170 0550 VPMW

memory : OCZ EB 4000 (infineon ce-6 chips)

Which of the following MOBOs should I pick from:

DFI lan party ultra-D

DFI sli-dr expert

DFI venus

and which bios has good results with this memory?

sli is unimportant, but rather overclockability (is that even a word?) is key. cooling initially will be air and psu is undetermined (although the ocz 520 seems to be the preferred choice because of the high amperage on its 12 v rail). raid is unimportant.

insights and experiences with infineon ce-6 and DFI anyone?

Hi

I am using the Muskin Redline Extreme RAM which has the infineon ce-6 chips and they seem to work very well. Both are in the orange slots and that seems to work, from memory the manual recommends orange slots for 1 T and then filling the yellow for 2 T so who I am to disagree.

I have not yet got round to o/c'ing this rig yet but have had zero problems so far. I read that they (Mushkin Redline) should be OK up to 260 - 265 so it will all depend on what you are ultimately hoping to achive OC'ing wise. I know that a few people on this forum have swapped thier Mushkin for something else but I am not sure if they had these chips or not.

It may well be worth doing some more reading up on the RAM side of things if you are going for high end O/C to see if the OZ RAM you are looking at will suit your needs. I have not had any OZ RAM so I am not really in a position to comment but I am sure that those who have or had them will be more than willing to help you and guide you in the right direction.

As for which board, I currently have the expert board with the 7/12 BIOS and I have had zero problems since I sorted out a few minor teething problems.

I also have a Venus board on order which should (fingers crossed) be here by Tuesday so I wait with idle curiousity to see what that brings as far as the RAM goes. The Venus is a limited Edition by the way so if you want one you may have to do a bit of digging although i have seen them on e-b*y already in case that helps.

cpu: opteron 170 0550 VPMW

memory : OCZ EB 4000 (infineon ce-6 chips)

Which of the following MOBOs should I pick from:

DFI lan party ultra-D

DFI sli-dr expert

DFI venus

That is almost a non-question. They will all run EB to 263 - 272 which is about the average working range of that memory. AND it IS the memory that governs how fast it will run. I have two sticks only that run 280 and are way above the par for those type sticks. Those sticks run that 'same 280' on either of the three boards you listed.

If you got the change in pocket and can get one of the few Venus boards made then get you one. I like the Venus board. I like it very well. So well in fact if I had two every one of my daily boxes would run one. They are different. They have to be adjusted differently than any board of the NF4 series by DFI that I have run but this one I have runs super good. Differently setting wise but super good and runs any memory I throw at it fast. But what is fast? Fast is a relative word. I just said any of the three boards you list above will run my above par EB to the same 280FSB. Relative. Just plain relative.

RGone...