Expert Chipset Temps

iu have a big butt GTX card which covers half the chipset fan, my temps go to 54 while gaming.. is this to high?

any advise?

thanks

Pandamonia,

I've read that 60C is about the max. "start to worry" temp. on the NF4 chipset. But I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, so anyone with more information please feel free to correct me. I live by the rule that cooler is better when dealing with computer gear.

A nice mod. to help bring your temps. down is to visit http://www.jab-tech.com/Video-Card-cooling-c-223.html and order you an Evercool VC-RE chipset cooler. When it comes in, pull the stock DFI cooler, clean up the thermal goop off the chipset, a dab of AS5 on the now clean chipset and install the Evercool.

My chipset idles around 36-38C and never exceeds 46C at full load. And that is heavily o/c'd and running 1.7V through it.

P.S. You can also do the AS5 trick using the stock cooler if you don't want to spend $8 and wait for shipping. But the Evercool is much more efficient at wicking away that heat, and it is very quite, even at max rpms.

ok my Chipset just hit 58c!!!! wtf is goin on with this board? i am gona buy one of them fans but omfg why is it so hot? i am playing dungeon and dragons online and i have never seen it this hot b4.... gona get my Thermal paste from my mate soon as he is back but that means takin the damn pc to bits again... takes forever! this shudnt be happening, why do they make the GTX so big? and why put the chipset fan near the heat coming from the GFX cards?!!!!

Move GTX to PCIe slot #2. Replace stock gpu cooler with Artic Cooling NVSilencer Rev.3 like the one found here. It will exhaust all of that heat coming off your gpu out the back of your case.

Then you can do as I did. Leave the card in slot 1, install the NVSilencer on your video card (exhausts gpu heat out of case instead of directly over your NF4 chipset).

Replace stock DFI NF4 cooler with Evercool using Artic Silver (your choice Ceramique or AS5) Careful if using AS5 as it is conductive.

And your NF4 chipset temps. WILL drop, I guarantee.

While the discussed max temps supposedly are near 60c, my stability is severely decreased once my chipset temps go over 50 degrees. If it stays under 50 I can dual prime for 24+ hours. If it goes above 50 dual prime fails usually in 2-4 hours.

Needless to say I ordered Evercool and plan on swapping it out as soon as I get it.

Guest Queequeg

I have the same problem, to day I was playing F.E.A.R when the MBM alarm went off. The NF4 chipset temp had reached 70C :eek: Needless to say I shut down pritty quick.

Whilst running Prime for 8 hours the NF4 temp dosn't pass 55C, in fact it remains at 55C whilst running most apps at the desk top. The temps rocket when the 2 GTX's have to do some work like when in games. Obviously these run very hot and are exhausting they hot air on to my chipset, which has restricted flow beacause one of the GTX's sits over the chip.

After looking in the case I noticed the air flow might be restricted from the inflowing case fan by some of the numerous wires, I can probably rearange these to make a clearer path to the GTX's and NF4 from the in fan. Also my case (which is a steaming pile by the way) has a front cover which conventiently blocks the inward fan too and I was playing F.E.A.R with the door shut. Hopefully these minor modifications will cut a few degrees but still some more serious changes are gonna need to be made.

The only problem I have with changing the chipset cooler is will the new one fit under the GTX card? How easy is it to change the NF4 cooler? do you need to remove the motherboard to do it, or can it be done from the case?

My Fan 5 pin is still free on the mobo so I can easily fit a case fan to the side panel to cool the whole area.

All advice is much appreciated