Would PCI IDE CONTROLER WORK IN MY NF3/250?

Hi all.

Well, it took just over a year before my NF3/250 started to mess up on my.

All of the sudden, my bios won't remember anything if I do some kind of IDE change. (actually this all started after installing a 300 gig maxtor 16 cache HD )

For instance, I took out one of my 3 Maxtor IDE hard drives and put in a NEC3500A Dvd burner.

When rebooted, none of my two remaining ide Maxtor Hard drives would show up, but my Maxtor Sata does, and so does my two IDE dvd burners on IDE 2.

After numbersous resets of the bios, and several bios flashes, and turning off fast boot and delaying my IDE hard drive, I'm now able to boot.

But if I turn on fast boot and turn off the ide delay time, it won't see my ide drives again.

So, I come to the conclusion,(after reading about all the problems these boards have ) that it is true that DFI is not a top notch motherboard maker.

However, my board does run great once Xp boots up off of my IDE hard drive.

Anyway, my question is, if I get a PCI IDE controler card, would I be able to hook my IDE hard drives and boot off of it?

Also, what brand of IDE controler to get? Maxtor? I won't be doing any raid either.

I guess I could install xp on my Sata Maxtor since it never has trouble seeing this, but I wan't this pc to see all my maxtor hard drives.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mman45

1) Yes, a pci ide controller card should work on your board.

2) Some Maxtor drives have had compatibility problems with NF3/NF4 chipsets. To rule this out, call Maxtor Customer Service. They will walk you through determining the serial number for your drives and if necessary, will email you updated firmware for your drives. I do not believe that the firmware is listed on their site. I believe it can only be had direrectly form Maxtor.

Good Luck !

Thanks for the reply guys. It's appreciated.

Actually it's working fine as along as I have the hard drive delay set to 15 seconds.

This all started after putting in 300 gig maxtor..

By the way, I have my 160gig IDE Maxtor set as maxtor and the 300 gig set as slave, both with jumper settings as CS.

Do you think setting the jumpers to master and slave may make a difference?

Does anyone have their Maxtor drive jumper settings set to master and slave instead of Cable Select?

Thanks again.

mman45

Thanks for the reply Joek71.

I'm going to change the jumpers from cable select on Both ide hard drives to master and slave on ide one.

I'll let you know how I make out...

mman45

Now I think I'm sure my problem is the 300 gig Maxtor 6L300R0

I changed the jumpers from cable select to master and slave on both IDE hard drives.

160 gig maxtor is the boot drive with xp on it. Ok, after changing them and I rebooted.

No ide hard drives showed up at all. Ok, I shutdown, but this time, I unhooked the 300 gig maxtor, which is the slave, rebooted with fast settings. Xp booted up fine.

So, it does appear that the 300 gig maxtor is the cause of my problems, not the nf3/250 boards fault.

I'll be calling maxtor Monday morning to see if I can get that firmware update.

Thanks guys.