Sign in to follow this  
psy^

x1900XTX on nf4 Ultra-D issues

Well guys, i'm stumped :confused:

I simply canNOT get this system to even POST with the x1900XTX installed.

Test system specs are as follows

Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU

dfi nf4 ultra-d r.ad0 w/623 bios

1gb mushkin xp 4000 or 512mb centon advance 3200

venice 3000+ or san diego 3700+

thermalright xp120 w/ultra high speed panaflow

no drives, no usb devices

I've tried the usual mobo on box with no drives or usb devices plugged in, 1 memory stick in the orange slot furthest from the socket. Even tried the yellow one on the edge. Both with either a stick of centon tccd or mushkin tccc. I even tried swapping CPUs, between a venice 3000+ and a san diego 3700+.

No difference.

The PSU certainly isn't the issue here; it's an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU.

I've tried a dedicated PCI-E lead, and also a PCI-E -to- dual molex splitter, to spread the power load over 2 of the modular rails.

No difference.

Even tried booting with a 6600GT, loading optimised defaults, then powering down to try with the x1900XTX.

No difference.

The only thing i can think of is the BiOS.

I have another system next to me with a R.AD0 nf4 Ultra-D, also using 6/23 BiOS.

Tried this card in that system, and the system won't post.

What i do get (in both systems) are 3/4 leds on the board lighting up, with the 4th one flashing for a while, then all dropping back to the initial led lit. Then the board beeps; 1 long and 2 short, or 1 long and 3 short depending on the PCI-E slot i try.

I think the upper slot gives the 3 short beeps usually.

That seems to be a 'Video card not found and/or video memory bad' error from what i can find, whereas the 2 beep error is simply 'Video card not found'

I've successfully got into bios with both the 6600gt and x1900xtx slotted in, each on seperate monitors. The x1900xtx display never turned on :shake:

I'm planning to take this card back tomorrow, but is this a known issue?

I'd love it if a BiOS could somehow .. magically .. make the card compatible :nod: :sweat:

The PSU certainly isn't the issue here; it's an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU.

The only thing i can think of is the BiOS.

First off, your Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU could certainly be the issue, it isn't exactly the most powerful PSU available. You could try a differnt PSU if you have one available.

If you can get into the BIOS that means you're posting, which means it could be Windows having an issue with drivers. Did you try installing a fresh copy of XP immediately after installing the card? There is absolutely no reason the bios would not recognize one video card while having no problem detecting another. I'm really thinking you should reinstall windows (if you haven't).

video card problem probably...

thats y nvVdia is better then ATi

Possibly the card is bad, possibly. But there is certainly no reason to bring up an Ati vs. nvidia flame war here. No matter which company you purchase from there will always be duds, there is no quality control anywhere near thorough enough that could catch them all.

First off, your Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w PSU could certainly be the issue, it isn't exactly the most powerful PSU available. You could try a differnt PSU if you have one available.

Not powerful enough to power a mobo, cpu, 1 stick of memory, a 120mm fan, and the x1900XTX? I know these cards are power hungry, but damn.

If you can get into the BIOS that means you're posting, which means it could be Windows having an issue with drivers. Did you try installing a fresh copy of XP immediately after installing the card? There is absolutely no reason the bios would not recognize one video card while having no problem detecting another. I'm really thinking you should reinstall windows (if you haven't).

I don't understand how installing video drivers will help my system POST with the x1900xtx installed.

Maybe i wasn't completely clear but the board will not POST with just the x1900xtx installed, let alone BOOT.

Keeping the 6600GT in my rig isn't an option.

Get a better PSU or first check that X1900 in a friends RIG to see if it even starts up. Another thing, do you have all four power connectors connected? Mine has been working just fine by the way, it's a X1900XTX.

hi people

it's been a wile since i been back on this site i guess i only turn up when i'm in trouble lol

and i am having the exact same problem and i feel it has somthing to do with the bios reconising the x1900xtx... you know how these dfi boards are they need a bloody bios update for everything.

ok basically my new rig now is a

amd fx60 @2.8ghz air cooled

2x WDRaptors 68Gb Raid 0

4x512MB PC4800 OCZ EL (2GB)

2x S-ATA DVD Writer Plextor

x2 7800gtx256mb/x1900xt-x512MB Sapphire

Enermax sli 600watt

Dfi lanparty n-force 4 sli dr/Dfi lanparty UT xpress xdr200 crosscire

ok basically i'm having big time problems getting my x1900xtx to work on either of my motherboards all what happens is my fan on my gpu is going at full speed and i get a blank screen and somtime when i play about with the memory abit as in moving them around i get a system post then the screen goes blank after 7secs and the fan starts going full speed again, this has happend in myh nforce and xpress motherboard but yet my 7800 works fine in both mother boards, i'm using rev A (support for amd fx60) bios downloaded from the official website, i had it rma and the returned it to me and said it's perfectly fine so i'm telling them to take it back and test it on an dfi board, but for some reason i'm begining to think it could be somthing to do with my bios or memory can anyone help me?

Thanks

Hello everyone, new here 1st post

I have simular problems with my x1900xtx and ultra D.

However, I can post one time after resetting CMOS and get into the bios but when I save optimized defaults or make any change’s and reboot, I get blank screen or frozen on logo and can no longer get into bios or boot past this without resetting CMOS.

I have tried overnight reset with battery out.

It’s a new board (my 1st DFI).

Is there a known problem with the X1900 cards?

Any Suggestions appreciated,

thanks.

Mine has been working just fine by the way, it's a X1900XTX.

Interesting .. i might have to try that BiOS you're using.

The fact that jasonsupreme can't get his working with a 600w PSU makes me think the Antec isn't the culprit.

For example I've seen an x1800XT running on a 430w PSU. System would boot, windows would load and all your regular apps would run fien, but anything 3D would crash the system pretty much instantly.

3 LEDs is the indication the video won't initialize.

Try this...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

But first off i'll try fully clearing the CMOS like that.

Thanks for the help everyone :cool:

"Get a better PSU" is the standard response on web forums.

I'd say there's a prob with your video card. Your PSU would have to be insanely overloaded for it to be unable to POST. That's highly unlikely. More likely, if it were a PSU issue, would be reboots/instability in 3D games.

Note what I'm running with a mere 20-pin 475W PSU in my sig. :) No problems whatsoever here for a month now (since I built her). At the outlet I've never seen a pull over 300W. Considering PSU efficiency (20% waste min), that means I'm not pushing the PSU anywhere near its limit in DC power.

I have an x1900xt setup with an fx-57 and 4 HDD's on an ultra D using a 500w antec truepower and it is stable as a rock and my kids run it for not just hours but days at a time running at 3.05ghz and the card default with COD2 maxed out on the optima 100" in the living room. Never misses a beat or gives any problems. I have run it with several different bios and never had any issues. As a matter of fact I'm about to dump my SLi 7800GT's for another 1900 and might get the xtx but the card is the best gaming card I have ever seen. While the SLi's will score 1500 points higher in 3dmark a single 1900 will put the sli's to shame when you turn the graphics up to maximum.