Need your approval!

old_geekster

Hey all,

This is my first time posting on the forum, but I have been following along for about a month. In fact, it is this forum that has me excited about trying my hand at OC-ing.

Thanks to Angry_Games and DFI for a great forum. I have learned more here than any other forum that I have visited.

I have been into computers since 1984. I know---that makes me an old_geekster, but I do learn fast, however.

My first computer was an Apple Mac with one 3.5" floppy; no harddrive.

I have never built a computer from scratch. However, I have completely upgraded the box that I have now. It is a HP 9905 (Configurable) w/ Full-case. I would use the existing case, but I am concerned about heat problems. It is 4 1/2 years old.

The system that I listed in my sig is still a dream. I haven't purchased any of the items at this point. I wanted to get your advice on any compatibility issues.

I may even update the processor to an X2, but haven't been convinced that it would be necessary.

My latest games are Splinter Cell-Chaos Theory and Brothers In Arms - Road to Hill 30. I also have FarCry and many other first-person shooters.

Now that I have introduced myself, I would appreciate your help and advice.

I know DFI boards can give a noob headaches, but I am willing to take it slow.

Will my proposed system be good enough for all of the new games that are on the market?

I will appreciate any help!

Looks great to me. I'm not too famaliar with the PSU, but if it's on the approved PSU list, then everything should be fine.

One suggestion I would make is that instead of buying a single raptor, buy two, maybe even three depending on how much the raptor costs, 80GB Hitachi Desktars and RAID them together. You'll see much better results for roughly the same price.

1) any reason you are not going for an X2 (aside from cost?)

If you plan to overclock, that may be a better overall choice, especially maybe an opteron.

2) look at the ocz gold gamers ram, should be about the same price, with a bigger rebate and lower numbers

3) not sure any more about the whisper type powersupplies. the quiet comes at a cost, as the temperatures are going to be higher in the case.

4) depending on what you use your computer for, raid may or may not provide benefits over a raptor. Good for multimetia, bad for gaming.

Thanks for the quick reply, ComeUpon!

The Raptor is a bit expensive, about $160 each. If the Hitachi Desktars are good, I would probably buy two or three of them instead. They sell for considerably less.

I assume from what you are saying that my current WD 80GB is not RAID capable. Is that correct?

I have to sell my LP Gibson to get extra money. Ha!

4) depending on what you use your computer for, raid may or may not provide benefits over a raptor. Good for multimetia, bad for gaming.

How do you figure? I'm pretty sure you'll see faster load times with two or three SATA 3GB/S HDs than with a single raptor. I don't see what else your HD would help you with in a gaming situation.

Thanks for the advice and quick reply, jiminator!

Yes, price of the X2 is definitely a factor, but that doesn't mean I haven't thought about it, as I said in my post. I'll give it some more thought before making my final decision.

As you can see ComeUpon recommended RAID, also. I definitely will make the change.

As for the RAM, it looks great! I'll do some research and let you know.

Raid (and raptors for that matter) really only improve load times so keep that in mind. Personally I think a pair of 80GB drive is worth the cost for the added speed, but thats me. The reason the Hitachi is suggested it thats its been used a lot and has proven itself on this forum, as well as being inexpensive.

You may want to consider getting a more powerful PSU for future upgrades, thought the one you have picked will probably work just fine.

anandtech and some other sites did some tests with raid and gaming. the results were disappointing. they did not draw any conclusions, but IMO I think the cluster size, random access patterns and drive caching worked against raid.

As a side note, I'll never go back to a single core processor since I've had my dual cores, and the administrator of this forum has also said the same. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

anandtech and some other sites did some tests with raid and gaming. the results were disappointing. they did not draw any conclusions, but IMO I think the cluster size, random access patterns and drive caching worked against raid.

Hm, very interesting. I'll have to check that out.

As to insert my two cents on the dual core question, here's my view on it: You're already spending more money on that 4000+ than on either an X2 3800+ or an Opty 165 and for just $10 more than the 4000+ you can get an X2 4200+. I've never used a high powered single core processor, but I love my X2 and probably wouldn't even think of trying a single core--well, if I got it for free, then I wouldn't mind taking it for a ride around the block. :rolleyes:

Raid (and raptors for that matter) really only improve load times so keep that in mind. Personally I think a pair of 80GB drive is worth the cost for the added speed, but thats me. The reason the Hitachi is suggested it thats its been used a lot and has proven itself on this forum, as well as being inexpensive.

You may want to consider getting a more powerful PSU for future upgrades, thought the one you have picked will probably work just fine.

Boy! I have to hand it to you guys. You sure know how to swamp an old_geekster. I asked for advice and I sure am getting what I asked for. Thanks!

Here is the 80 GB I am considering:

HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM = $50.00 each (Maybe three of the rascals.)

Is this the one you guys would choose?

I am puzzled about one thing. From what I have read, DFI doesn't support the Opty. If true, I am not a gambler. So it wouldn't be an option at this point. I certainly will consider the X2 4200+ or larger, however.

If you get tired of my infernal questions, please stop me. I have a tendancy to research everything to death. My son-in-law, who is an engineer, said I should have been one because that is one of his habits. One thing about it though, I very seldom, if ever, have to look back when I make a purchase.

Thanks for your patience.

1) any reason you are not going for an X2 (aside from cost?)

If you plan to overclock, that may be a better overall choice, especially maybe an opteron.

2) look at the ocz gold gamers ram, should be about the same price, with a bigger rebate and lower numbers

3) not sure any more about the whisper type powersupplies. the quiet comes at a cost, as the temperatures are going to be higher in the case.

Point 2) question, jiminator and others.

From what I have read in Angry's guide on memory, it seems to me that I would be better off with the DDR500 memory that I have chosen, rather than the Gold Gamers suggested DDR400.

My theory is, based on what I read, I would rather OC my processor slightly than have to OC both. If the memory is DDR500, I can OC the FSB to 250 and the memory would not have to be touched. Please tell me where I am going wrong.

Oh, yes, I have never OC'd, as I stated in my original post, so this is a big learning curve for me.