Sign in to follow this  
Kaedan94

Starting my new build tonight

Just got the components for the build that's in my sig tonight (had to pick them up from friend's place) and I'm gonna start putting her together. Wish me luck. This will be the 5th system I've built, but 1st DFI. Gonna follow the initial build faq and hope everything works out ok.

Btw, anyone have any recommendations for the Zalman 9500 CPU Fan? I think I gotta unscrew the yellow plastic around my processor to install the fan. The only problem is, will the technique of a grain and a half of rice worth of AS5 in the center work with the Zalman 9500 and the Ultra-D for those that have that setup? Or should I use the surgical glove and spread a thin coat over the whole thing technique? :) Well off I go, I'll check back soon for any suggestions.

Well, she's up and running. Posting this using the new comp now. Had to run out to Walgreens to grab some stuff and did some pre- Windows testing. Still need to download all the drivers, but from the looks of her so far, it'll be a fun machine. Thanks for all the info people have posted about the DFI boards, helped a lot this this build.

A fellow Minnesotan, good to see!

Have you followed the build guide? i.e. load optimized defaults, run MemTest, etc?

Looks like a well rounded build! Is your CPU an Athlon 64 3700+ single core or a 3800+ dual core?

(The San Diego is only single core, running at 2.2GHz as compared to the 3800+ 2.0GHz)

You silly Minnesotans. I was chatting with my brother last night (goes to school in Minneapolis), and he's thinking about building his next computer after he graduates. I told him to come here and do a lot of reading.

Man my 1st DFi built was so much fun but now Im at max oc so I guess the fun is over :)

Congratulations!

Thanks!

Have you followed the build guide? i.e. load optimized defaults, run MemTest, etc?

I followed the build guide for just getting her to post. I haven't done any BIOS flashing or memtesting yet. Haven't OC'd before so I'm taking it one step at a time. I plan on Flashing BIOS and running all the tests tomorrow. For right now she's nice and stable and I'll do some more reseach here for OCing.

Looks like a well rounded build! Is your CPU an Athlon 64 3700+ single core or a 3800+ dual core?

It's a 3700 + San Diego. I figured since not a lot of multithreaded programs were out there yet, I'd go with a processor that was more affordable yet still good. The 3800 + DC only had 512 Caches and I would have had to go up to the 4400+ to get the 1 mb caches. I'll prolly get the dual core on my next upgrade once the price has dropped a bit.

It's a 3700 + San Diego. I figured since not a lot of multithreaded programs were out there yet, I'd go with a processor that was more affordable yet still good. The 3800 + DC only had 512 Caches and I would have had to go up to the 4400+ to get the 1 mb caches. I'll prolly get the dual core on my next upgrade once the price has dropped a bit.

I'm playing the waiting game too. I figure the X2 will be my last 939 socket rig before moving to the AM2 boards next Fall or Winter once they've matured some.

I'm keeping my eye on a 4400 Toledo waiting for the price to drop to $400.00USD. They're currently at $458.00USD lowest price so I figure another 10% or so should be about the bottom.

The only reason I asked was because you had 3800+ San Diego in your sig before.

Yeah, I was confused when you said that so I checked my sig. Changed it to correct stats.