Sign in to follow this  
blackdragon57

Strange Boot Problems

Just got my new replacement Expert in today, and I ran into a new problem. Everything from my last build is the same, except for different memory (2x 1GB OCZ DDR400).

I start up the computer, and it gets to "Backup CMOS...Okay!" then nothing.

I turn the power off, then I can't turn it back on until I unplug the computer and wait for the motherboard power indicator to turn off. Then, the system will finally power on again. However, I get the same problem.

Notibly, there was a seating problem right before, and I did notice that my processor pins were slightly bent, but still within normal working range (still able to fit back into the socket (fairly easily).

I have so far tried the following:

(1) Different memory (256 MB Samsung DDR266)...same problems.

(2) Clearing the CMOS through jumpers, restarting, then loading the optimized defaults...same problems.

(3) Now running Memtest86 through the motherboard BIOS.

My suspicions currently lie within the hard drives (2x Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300 GB SATA2). The hard drives do detect just fine, and nothing looks out of place in the bios. However, I have never been able to load Windows yet (already loaded from the last Expert board).

If anyone has any clue about this issue, then I will definitely appreciate any advice/support. Thanks :)

Haha, I thought HTML would modify the title...guess not, lol :shake:

Took care of that for you.

Send a PM to AndyOCZ for some memory timing suggestions.

I had problems with my Maxtor when I was installing WIndows.. It hanged for ages before booting.. I am not sure if the Maxtor is the problem, but it is a possiblity..

Are you running in SATA II mode? I am not sure baout your drive, but mine had a jumper on the drive to select SATA I/II.. I had all these problms when i was trying to run SATA II..

If you are running SATA II, try changing to SATA I mode.. Also try plugging the drive to port 3 or 4.. It helped me..

It ran Memtest86 without any problems (twice). I switched the SATA connectors to slots 3 and 4 (still the same problem). The memory timings are set to 3-3-3-8 (auto set them, and that's OCZ specifications). Being that Memtest86 worked fine, and changing out the RAM made no difference, I am ruling out memory.

Strangest thing is that the BIOS and Memtest86 display all the computer's information correctly.

I am curious about one thing: would Memtest86 still run if the processor is bad? I can't see that to be possible, because of the large amounts of information being transfered between the processor and the memory during the test.

Again, I thank ExRoadie and madu for their input, and would deeply appreciate any other suggestions :)

EDIT:

Changing the LDT to 4x did nothing for me.

After clearing the CMOS and loading optimized defaults once, I received a checksum error immediately. I really hope this isn't another bad MOBO.

(I am also booting with USB mice and keyboards).

lol, I read that one. I found it kinda funny. I was waiting for the whole, "then do the hokie pokie and turn yourself all around..."

Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate that advice.

New update: I can boot into Windows now, and everything is going great. What did I do? I removed the second 7800 GTX, lol. Now, I need to figure out why that caused such an insane problem. Normally, I just can't use SLI if a card isn't in correctly.

I do enjoy posting this problem...just in case anyone EVER gets it again.

I did notice that my display switched between the two video cards while clearing the CMOS and restarting those few times. Perhaps it was just a bad seat.

My computer is running fine now, except for some reboots. Some reboots don't start the computer (just shuts off right away). Most boots are doing fine. 3DMark03 is running great (scoring 28,125).

I'm going to save my current BIOS settings and experiment around with the boot options to see if I can find something a bit more reliable.

Thanks for all the support :D

Does it show a blinking cursor after the "saving cmos/bios....ok"? If so, fdisk the hard drive and remove all partitions. I had a very similar issue with my WD3200JD, turned out to be a corrupt MBR (due to bad memory settings during XP install). Give that a shot. I'm also operating on a Venice with some pins that were bent out of shape, its doing ok.

It did do that. However, now Windows boots fine when the computer can get to that point. Sometimes, it will just hang on the Lanparty logo. Now, if it gets to the CMOS, then it always boots Windows.

Are your memory settings at optimized defaults or custom? If custom bring them back to default and see if that lets you get past the splash screen consistently. Also you can distable the splash screen under "Advanced" options all the way at the bottom, that way you might be able to see what you are getting stuck on.

Also if you check out your PSU's characteristics and compare them to the power guide for this MB, you'll find that you do not have enough amperage on +12v. I'm having to sell that exact PSU because it was insufficient for this board. So if problems persist, try removing all unncesarry components from your rig. Run cpu, ram, video, hdd and optical, see if that helps.