Sign in to follow this  
DeathBooger

stuck in a reboot loop when installing Windows XP Pro SP2

Please help.

I just did the build tonight with the things in my sig. Everything is fine except when I try to install XP. The cd-rom starts reading the disc and the system reboots. Does it over and over again when trying to read the disc. I already tried 2 different CD drives and the same exact thing happens with both. It sounds like the drive begins to read the disc and the SATA hard disk starts spinning and then poof, reboot.

Guest thespin

Ensure all 4 power connections on the mobo are hooked up to the PSU. Check that you have the HD hooked up correctly.

Do a cmos reset for ten minutes (psu off). Reset cmos jumper to pins1-2. Boot into bios and load optimized. Disable CNQ and Thermal Throttling. Set boot order (CD first). Set vdimm to stock for your memory. Save in 'cmos reloaded' as 'stock'. Under Genie, enable memtest, save and exit. Let memtest cycle thru all tests 5 times. If no errors, look at bottom of memtest screen and use options to select test#5. Run test#5 25 times. If no errors, select test#7 and run 25 times. If no errors, return to bios setup and disable memtest, save and exit.

Try install again ...

I think it's a bad cd, I tried it in another machine and the same thing happens. Except I get an error message "NTDETECT Failed". My only copy of XP too, guess I'll have to sort this out tomorrow.

Ensure all 4 power connections on the mobo are hooked up to the PSU. Check that you have the HD hooked up correctly.

Do a cmos reset for ten minutes (psu off). Reset cmos jumper to pins1-2. Boot into bios and load optimized. Disable CNQ and Thermal Throttling. Set boot order (CD first). Set vdimm to stock for your memory. Save in 'cmos reloaded' as 'stock'. Under Genie, enable memtest, save and exit. Let memtest cycle thru all tests 5 times. If no errors, look at bottom of memtest screen and use options to select test#5. Run test#5 25 times. If no errors, select test#7 and run 25 times. If no errors, return to bios setup and disable memtest, save and exit.

Try install again ...

I did all that, that's why I was really confused. Thanks though.

Did that too. :) Been here all night. I tried the disc on 3 machines and it did the same thing to all of them, the othe 2 machines have been up and running stable for years. It's got to be a bad disc.