Sign in to follow this  
herbeapuce

upgrading or not the chipset fan???

Hi.

I will OC my Ultra-D pretty soon. I bough a bigger fan...

But what about the chipset fan, should I change it for a better one? if so, what's a good choice?

Do I really need to? Angrygames made a tutorial where he shows how to change the thermal paste on the chipset for the better one, artic 5... does that means the fan is good enough for an easy OC ?

TIA

stef

Guest thespin

Members complain that the stock chipset fan is noisy, is not very effective, and burns out within 6 months. For starters, I would remove the fan, clean the chipset, use a tiny amount of AS Ceramique, and reinstall the fan.

If you want to replace the fan itself, a popular choice is the Evercool VC-RE which may be available at jab-tech.com.

If you want to replace the fan itself, a popular choice is the Evercool VC-RE which may be available at jab-tech.com.

Good choice.

As long as you're pulling the motherboard out anyway to put AS5 on the stock heatsink may as well just spend a couple $$$ and install the VC-RE and save yourself a headache on down the road.

-pickles

i ended up buying the evercool vc-re, but i'm not going to install it until my dfi dies out... since it's runnning at max spped during gaming, and 6000 rpm idle, im sure that day will come soon. :)

My stock chipset fan is nice and quiet, even at 7000rpm(max), i can barely hear it. My chipset temps never go past 39-40*c(idle at 34*c)....with chipset voltage at max. I did, however scrap off the thermal pad and put a dab of OCZ ultra 5+(same exact thing as AS5) on the chipset. It may not last that long, but it's working great now.

CJ