BSOD when trying to load OS

Sorry if this is a frequent problem but my search rendered nothing.

Anyway, I just set up my system with the below specs. Everything works fine until I try to load Windows XP (I am on my third CD trying both home and pro). One of two things happens. Either it hangs up during the device detect sequence (always when it says 34 or 33 minutes remaining), or I get the BSOD (I get the BSOD more frequently than the first lately).

So far, I have tried at least 7 clean installs. Trying everything from install repair, to quick format, to full format. I have never had this problem until I installed the mobo/CPU.

I vaguely remember hearing something about DFI LP boards having issues with Maxtor HDs. I also thought it may be my PSU but it's a very stable PSU and if this was the case it would become unstable at random times (I would think), but it's only during the OS install screen. Maybe it could be the RAM? Should I slow down the timings from auto and see? Any suggestions would greatly help.

Many people liken installing XP to a new builds 1st stress test.

It can have a habit of fnding out the weakest components.

Usual culprits:-

1) Memory hve u used memtest to verify its stable b4 xp install.

2) Psu what are the total watts & 12v amps is it 24pin

see Recommended! - NF4 Ultra/SLI Mobos:PowerSupplies You need 26A 12V to run well.

luck :)

I will try memtest. As for the PSU, its native 24pin, it is stable at 12v and rated @ 28A, so no problem there... I think.

I am going to also try another HD. It is now hanging up at random spots during the initial file copying, and also keeps giving me errors that the whatever.file could not found on the CD, when I know all three CDs are fully operational.

Are you sure the Optical drive is o.k? Make sure the cables are not twisted up :)

That was kind of a last resort but it seems like the obvious solution now. I will get the cable from my old PC (which the drive used to be connected to and fully operational).

I am currently running memtest, so it will be my next step if memtest passses.

Are you sure the Optical drive is o.k? Make sure the cables are not twisted up :)

Hah, I know this isn't the problem but I felt like sharing. My sister had a super crappy cd-rom drive in her computer and it would not install windows xp because it kept giving errors because it couldn't read the cd. It didn't happen while in Windows so I have a quick question... does Windows employ some type of error-checking to prevent this?

Its not a matter of error checking as much as verifying the file integrity once it's made it to the hard drive. If the installer can't get a confirmed file transfer it will balk and throw out a read error.

The true error checking is between the controller and the drive. CRC errors will not show up in the installer. They'll only be detected and show up once the OS is installed and running.

Hah, I know this isn't the problem but I felt like sharing. My sister had a super crappy cd-rom drive in her computer and it would not install windows xp because it kept giving errors because it couldn't read the cd. It didn't happen while in Windows so I have a quick question... does Windows employ some type of error-checking to prevent this?

So far I have gotten my RAM errors down to 33 (thanks for the link SUpershanks, it helped) and I've gotten the OS installer to 4 minutes remaining (saving settings) before it froze up. I am still not sure of the problem. I just replaced both the IDE cable to the DVD drive, and the SATA cable to the HDD. It's installing again right now for probably the 15th time...

*crossing my fingers.

Another thing to try (after memtest) is to load XP with optimized defaults. If the install goes, you know its your settings. Memory settings is one of the things that has caused me a lot of trouble. Follow this guide to get a rough idea of memory settings. I cannot emphasize enough about running memtest on the memory config that you use to install XP!

BSOD during xp install hw detection is related to the onboard controllers.

It's not uncommon that this happens , it's usually the onboard lan controllers

that is the culprit.

You should do the following :

Disable in cmos setup :

Onboard nvidia LAN

Onboard additional LAN

Onboard Firewire

Onboard sound

Then the xp install hw detection phase should complete.

After xp is installed , update to SP2 (if not using a sp2 integrated cd)

Run/install the chipset drivers and lan drivers . Reboot .

Enter cmos setup and enable the lan controller you want to use (or both)

and firewire if you want to use it.

The new hw shall be detected and correct drivers shall be loaded for them.