IHS Removal

Just removed the IHS off my 4400+ think I did it correctly all of the parts on the inside did not look scratched or cut. Then placed it in my computer mounted the water cooling nad trie dto turn it on... it turned off after 5 second, tried again, did it again, it kept happening so i took it out and saw some thermall paste on the wires, is that the problem, or did i cut one of the wires. If it is the thermal paste whats the safest way to get it off, its clogged inbetween the wires, dont know If i have anything small enough to pick it out?

Then no problem - wipe it off with a soft tissue. Iso-Alcohol can be used if necessary but make sure everything is properly dry before re-inserting the cpu.

Is the water block making good contact with the top of the chip?

I had to adjust the washers/standoffs on mine to ensure good contact when I took off my IHS.

It sounds like a heat issue to me. Possibly caused by the water block not being flat against the core, Tubing pulling the block etc. Most CPU's will handle overheating and auto shutting off once, twice maybe, but 4 or 5 times I would bet you're going to be in the market for a new CPU.

The blocks contact to the core would be the first thing I look at. 2 secs is about right before it shuts down if it has bad contact. Pull the block and look at the spread of the paste. It should be a very very thin film across the core that is not thicker on one side of the core.

How tight are you running the block. It's not as critical on CPU's with IHS still attached but without the IHS and only having two mounting points you have to run it fairly tight to keep it from rocking on the core.

I followed the step #7 and sat my DD TDX real even using a small slide rule to measure height of edge of block on all sides. With a 1.66 vcore idles at 33-35 and 50-55 load. I even tried the Apogee block but the copper block is so thin compared to the TDX it can't control the heat with the same vcore.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm :cool:

Acutallly might not be the heat i put in the other chip in by accident. The one that isnt craped up takes like a total of 2 seconds to power up and shut down bu ttime powered on is a split second