New build help

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried to power up with a different power supply. The supply is rated at 550, although the voltagtes and amperages per line i have no idea (there's some stickers covering the label). It is a 20 pin psu with a 24 pin adapter. Connected all 4 leads, and power to the video card. Powered up, still no vga.

This is very discouraging. Why doens't my new motherboard work???

Where did you buy the board?

You stated the seal was not intact on the static bag when it arrived.

You might have gotten someone else's RMA & inherited their problem.

Although your PSU is suspect it should be enough to power an initial startup. I'm not fond of the manner that Enermax modular PSU cables connect to the PSU.

I bought the board from supersonicpc.ca, I'll have a word with the retailer today.

I've just returned from trying a pci video card, it made no difference.

I'm thinking it may have also been abused during shipping.

The board was shipping along side an EVGA 6800gs and an Opteron 165.

ALL 3 BOXES SHOWED SIGNS OF DAMAGE AT ARRIVAL.

The opteron and video card both work. The signs of damage are still a cause for concern to me, but perhaps that is why the seal was broken? I don't know...

I'm thinking it may have also been abused during shipping.

The board was shipping along side an EVGA 6800gs and an Opteron 165.

ALL 3 BOXES SHOWED SIGNS OF DAMAGE AT ARRIVAL.

The opteron and video card both work. The signs of damage are still a cause for concern to me, but perhaps that is why the seal was broken? I don't know...

Since you say that all three boxes showed signs of damage, and especially the mobo having a broken security seal......I wouldn't even settle with "trying" to get it to work.

If you paid for a new product, then that is what you should get. I would, without hesitation, call up that retailer and INSIST on getting another board. Also make it know to them that the other boxes showed signs of damage as well.

I've just returned from the shop. The owner insisted that the product was new, but agreed to rma it for me. He has also lent me an Asus board to fill the interim.

Le sigh. Maybe when the new one arrives i will have better luck.

If you get 4 Leds it could be the cpu.. Best thing is to try your cpu on another rig and make sure it works.. you will not get any video out until 3 leds are off... 4 leds normally means problem detecting cpu.. so at this stage you should check your cpu.. or like fariss said, you might have gotten someone else's RMA'd board..

The cpu works great. In fact i'm replying on the loaner board using this cpu right now.

It is a Venice core 3000 details as follows per cpu-z v1.32.1

Family F Model F Stepping 0

Ext. Family F Ext. model 2F Revison DH-E3

I did try with a 550w psu, but I am convinced that the liberty is of higher quality. The total required wattage of my system is under 300w, according to the extreme psu calculator.

When the new board comes in, I will try again. If the problems persist, I purchase an OCZ Powerstream (or Modstream) 520w. From what I've read here, if that supply doens't cut it, it's time for me to go back to Asus. :(

OCZ Powerstream 520 is the best around... it will take out the psu factor out of the problem.. If the cpu works fine, then it must be a defected board.. you did get it with a broken seal.. so there's something to worry about.. post back when you try your new board.. Good luck man!