power supply problems read this

flybye444

That is a very informative article highlighting overloads to specific rails of adequate power supplies. Funny these issues have to be learned through bad experiences before OEM's pay attention to customer needs. Thanks Flybye444.

But this is the least of their problems.

Rant mode engaged...

Way too many PSU manufacturers are having problems with the PWR_OK or “power good” signal in their units.

Additionally, they're building units with a rail that requires a minimum of 1 to 2 amps then provisioning that rail on leads that many users won't need to plug into any devices. This will cause the dreaded "cold boot" issue that's been blamed on way too many motherboards when it really is the fault of the PSU.

The PSU builders really need to get on spec with ATX 12V 2.2 and EPS 12V and stick with it.

No more of this "compatible" crap. Either it's compliant or it isn't.

This isn't rocket science stuff here. Basic knowledge of electronics and following the rules is all you need.

Rant mode off...

Makes me feel good abou tthe extra money I spent on my PC pwr & cooling PSU :)

Ditto...

I know the problems that crappy PSU's can cause first hand. I used an Aspire PSU that came with the case I ordered, and had nothing but problems for months. It took several RMA's and finally taking my rig to a PC shop to figure out that the 350W Aspire PSU was crap, and that's why I had so many problems. Now, I am a firm believer in using a good quality PSU to eliminate that as a possible source of problems.