dfi venus finally out.

divided

Bios is the NF4VD117

It's made from very expensive cardboard.

Man that is a great line. :D

I'd hold on to it for a bit if only a $50 dollar profit. They are sold out in many countries. It may be worth more at a later date.

I think some folks bought it because it is supposed to fix the issue with TCCD.

I think some bought it in the hope of higher overclocking.

I think some bought it cause they don't plan on moving to AM2 for a while.

and some bought it as a collector's item.

I don't think anyone bought it for the box.

It does have better caps.

It does come with a 160 page printed manual.

It does come with a case badge, LanParty sticker, and label for the rear I/O panel.

It does have UV reactive IDE and floppy cables.

I expect some issues with it. New board. New Bios.

May even be fun trying to tame the savage beast :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the box is made of cheap cardboard IMO. my clip on my box was missing a screw so that led me to the conclusion of that. The board is much better than the expert. here is what i have found so far.

1. G.SKILL 4400LE 2 x 256MB 2.5-3-3-7 1T

Expert = 310mhz 2.96v memtest stable

Venus = 315mhz 2.96v memtest stable

2. Corsair 3500LL 2 x 1GB 2.5-3-2-5 1T

Expert =240mhz memtest stable

Venus = 255mhz memtest stable

I will test my corsair 3200XL Expert 2 x 512MB in the next few days and see if i can beat 265mhz 2.5-3-3-6 1T

Well you're confirming that TCCD is better supported on the Venus than Expert; however, people are moving away from TCCD because its not available anymore and no 1GB sticks.

I don't think the Venus is a good idea when AM2 will be available soon. I think most cutting edge users will already have an Expert and invest that $300 on other new gear (or just wait for AM2). Besides the difference between Expert and Venus will be at most 2% performance difference if even that. Essentially, its $100 of cardboard box bling. I don't think many of us can justify that when they can get more memory or another CPU to play with for $300.

cjoe

1. G.SKILL 4400LE 2 x 256MB 2.5-3-3-7 1T

Expert = 310mhz 2.96v memtest stable

Venus = 315mhz 2.96v memtest stable

2. Corsair 3500LL 2 x 1GB 2.5-3-2-5 1T

Expert =240mhz memtest stable

Venus = 255mhz memtest stable

1. is a whoppin' 1.6 percent improvement.

2. is an incredible 6.25 percent improvement.

I hate to be passive aggressive but that's all after a 50% increase in the cost of the board?

Sheesh!

1. is a whoppin' 1.6 percent improvement.

2. is an incredible 6.25 percent improvement.

I hate to be passive aggressive but that's all after a 50% increase in the cost of the board?

Sheesh!

my venus didn't cost %50 more than what the Expert. expert $329AUD - Venus $449AUD
Well you're confirming that TCCD is better supported on the Venus than Expert; however, people are moving away from TCCD because its not available anymore and no 1GB sticks.

I don't think the Venus is a good idea when AM2 will be available soon. I think most cutting edge users will already have an Expert and invest that $300 on other new gear (or just wait for AM2). Besides the difference between Expert and Venus will be at most 2% performance difference if even that. Essentially, its $100 of cardboard box bling. I don't think many of us can justify that when they can get more memory or another CPU to play with for $300.

cjoe

just remember that uccc is boosted by about 10-14%

I haven't owned a expert yet as my last board was a ultra-d, My ram tests were done on a friends Expert motherboard. I remember everyone bagging the Expert when it first came out. It is the nature of the beast, to try pounding our chests louder than anyone else to show how dominating we can be..

I remember everyone bagging the Expert when it first came out. It is the nature of the beast, to try pounding our chests louder than anyone else to show how dominating we can be..

That's what we call the ePenis factor. lol

In the States the Expert is almost $200.00USD and the Venus(money trap) is almost $300.00USD hence the 50% premium.

The VENUS is also Kingmax Tiny BGA friendly!

(Not that many here know what that ram is.) ;)

Imagine DDR-500 that in AnandTech's test toped out at 528MHz @ 2.6V and runs 2-2-2-5 T1 at DDR-400 and stock volts.

Oh, and this is without a heatspreader - it stays that cool.

But 'till now no DFI board tolerated it. (according to archives here)

My Expert didn't even get into BIOS with it.

My VENUS boots to Windows with:

1) Two 256M Tiny BGA DIMMs in Orange

2) Two 256M Tiny BGA DIMMs in Yellow

3) FOUR 256M Tiny BGA DIMMS

4) Two 256M Tiny BGA DIMMS in Orange PLUS Two 1Gb OCZ Gold DDR-500 in Yellow.

This board is really hard to believe!

There are those who talked and there are those who bought (albeit with 30 day return privlage from Newegg.)

I'm so glad I was stupid! :D

I KNEW it would pay-off some day! :shake:

also the temp is reporting correct wth venus.

It is? :confused:

Mine seems just like Expert - ie. CPU much lower than the other two even durning Prime or super pi.

What are your readings?

It is? :confused:

Mine seems just like Expert - ie. CPU much lower than the other two even durning Prime or super pi.

What are your readings?

MY temp right now is showing 31c idle. at stock volts watercooling, with cpu at 2.38ghz opteron 175. when gaming it reaches 38. same temps as my Ultra-d was giving. i will do stressCPU right now with 2 instances.

here is stresscpu x2 idle and full load.

here is idle.

idle8jr.th.jpg

here is load.

load4gb.th.jpg

Thanks, M_com

My PWMIC and Chipset temps (idle) are right in line with yours.

My CPU is lower (23*C to 25*C), but that could just be the "same chip" running at a lower multi (X9) and therefore speed (1800 vs. 2400).

Maybe its just me, but I can't shake the idea that the true temps are different from what we see in BIOS and Guardian.

Yes, I know I can just keep an eye on the temp deltas (changes), but it seems a very flakey way when reaching for max overclock.

And the ability to DO that is the main reason to buy DFI brand boards in the first place.

Even the Asrock board can do a "nice" overclock.

I'm still happy, I just want perfection! :)

EDIT: from others.