Sign in to follow this  
UncleDavid218

$300 to spend

OK, so I've got $300 waiting to be spent.

I figure I may as well spend it upgrading, but to what?

1) nVidia releases it's new cards on the 9th, with the rumored price of a 7900GT being $299. Only downside is the lack of DX10 and DHCP support.

2) My memory is bad. I could get a good 2x1GB kit, preferably OCZ or Corsair. With the money left over, I would have enough for a 36GB or perhaps 74GB Raptor. Noise would be the only major downside.

3) Water cooling. A good kit from DangerDen with dual 120mm radiators, GPU blocks, CPU block, pump, etc. would run around $300, maybe a little more.

4) I was converting a video to MP4 last night when it hit me, it took an awful long time. Dual core X2s or Opterons are not horribly expensive, but would I notice a difference? I would be overclocking.

These are in no order, but I would like to spend it on something computer related. If there wont be a noticable increase in performance over any of these, then we'll have to wait.

if i were you, i would have upgraded my ram/vidcard combo... According to price point, vid card first (ram prices are getting lower and lower everyday as ddr2/ddr3 days are coming).

If you game more than anything else, than the video card would definitely be the best bet, followed by increasing RAM. You really won't notice a difference between an X2 3800+ with what you have now while gaming, unless you want to convert video's to MP4 WHILE gaming.

2GB RAM is my first suggestion

7800GT PCI-Express (eVGA has them at $285, $265 after mail-in rebate at newegg) and it will SMOKE any 6600GT SLI (trust me, I used 6600GT SLI for 7 months) and is my second suggestion

Guest YuKoN

The correct answer is:

E. All of the above !!!

The vidcard first- you just gotta have it!

Ram second. Also a must have.

Then the rest. You can afford to watch for sales on these items.

I just got my 7800GT CO- Now I'm noticing the need for a second gig of ram, my 6600 GT ran fine (BF2 and others) on only 1 gig, but every once in a while I get a hiccup with the 7800. Necessary when you near double your fps in a 64 player room and artillery is going off everywhere! Ram is next on my list.............

BTW the reason i say vidcard first is because you have all the dough now- the Ram money and other stuff is easier to scrape up later-

happy shopping!

online games ram most other games card though I would not be in that big of a hurry on the card as a new set is comming out farly soon. Nit that it would not be worth it but you should look for a deal.

I'd sell your current processor and get an inexpenive (3800+, 165) dual-core. Any you will notice a difference in conversion times depending on the program you use.

@Off Topic

Nice sig wangerin! Short and to the point...though maybe a bit confusing for those that don't hang out here all the time.

Sign in to follow this