My GPU temp is reaching 100+ celcius whilst playing BF2!

Confined

Not BF2 multiplayer...Battlefield 2 single player at Karkland, 15 bots and me. =/

So obviously something is wrong!

I have this POS Arctic Cooler 5 Rev 3 (DO NOT BUY) which worked well for a while giving me 40c idle temps and never exceeding 70c UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER.

I was playing BF2 one day and was getting huge ammounts of artifacts so I clocked back to stock speeds, took off the cooler and replaced the stock TIM with AS5, naturally.

I put the thing back on, booted and was greeted with a nice 46c idle temp.

I then went into BF2 to test it under load, again in single player on FuShu Valley or something.

I minimised and I saw a 78c temp...after a few APCs rolled in and arty started falling I minimised again and noticed that my GPU was over 100 DEGREES CELCIUS! I played for another few minutes, then my GPU reached 115c, terminated BF2 and went back to desktop.

I have taken off the cooler a second time and thoroughy cleaned it, removed all dust and checked everything in a quite anal manor.

The only thing I can think of is that the AS5 needs to be given time to take effect?

Please help me. :O

EDIT: On a postive side, even when my GPU was running at over 100 degrees celcius I never once saw an artifact! Even when I ALT-TAB'd back to desktop for a few seconds to check my temps and went straight back into BF2.

Kind of odd...

2 possibilities:

- ur AS5 got spilled over the pcb, a tiny speck drops on a cap or resistor and shorts the board (hey its 99% silver, wadaya expect? the stuff conductive)

- ur board's temp sensor is screwed up. at 100Celc, u should be seeing heavy artifacts. regardless people say its good until 200Celc or wutever. yes it wont fry the core, but 80+Celc will produce graphic corruption.

my suggestion? dont try to play it again if u still getting 100+ degree. how do u check ur temp anyway? nvidia control panel? or mbm?

2 possibilities:

- ur AS5 got spilled over the pcb, a tiny speck drops on a cap or resistor and shorts the board (hey its 99% silver, wadaya expect? the stuff conductive)

- ur board's temp sensor is screwed up. at 100Celc, u should be seeing heavy artifacts. regardless people say its good until 200Celc or wutever. yes it wont fry the core, but 80+Celc will produce graphic corruption.

my suggestion? dont try to play it again if u still getting 100+ degree. how do u check ur temp anyway? nvidia control panel? or mbm?

Just right through nvidia control panel, I also have nTune running and it's giving the same reading.

I felt very warm air coming from the exhaust the Arctic Cooler features.

But literally, absolutely 0 artifacts...better than ever even when ALT-TABing every 5 seconds. Very odd indeed.

Also, when I ALT-TAB back to the desktop the temp starts to fall dramatically.

From 80c back down to 49c in a matter of seconds...BF2 is still running mind you.

I'd be impressed to see a GPU reach 200C without melting. Hell, 100C is 212F, otherwise known as the boiling point of water (and while the GPU isn't made of water, I sure wouldn't want to run any electronic component at that temperature for long). Maybe they meant that the card was good up to 200F instead of 200C.

My quick Google for maximum operating temperature came up with around 90C (though with a lot of variables).

Perhaps the cooler (or even the core) is slightly warped?

If i suspected that, i would test it similarly to how i'd test an engine block.. with a light!

Remove it from the motherboard and remove the cooler. Inspect the impression of the core in the AS5 for clues to how it is seating.

Clean both core and cooler, then reinstall with no thermal compound. Hold it up to the lightd an see if there's any light coming through. This can indicate an improper seal.

1. at 100C, u wont be feeling very warm air... u'll be feeling HOT air, literally. somewhere similar to have ur hand about 1 feet above a boiling water....

2. if u alt-tab, altho its still running, ur cpu/mem will be goin crazy still, but ur VGA can take a break coz it has nothing to draw on the screen....

3. dont use BF2 to bench, ur that rhtibdrible or wutever that guy posted. run it on 16xAA, or watever, just get the lowest FPS wit the highest settings... and see how high it can go. it WILL burn hotter than BF2.... if not, then its a glitch wit BF2 and ur card's temp reading........

making a comment like the artic silencer is a pos is bs. everyone i have ever heard (including myself) have had excellent expierences with that cooler. you said you took the card off and replaced with as5...then temps rose...whats your question. you obviusoly applied too much as5 and thus hindered the effieciency of the cooler.

I've reapplied the AS5 three times now.

I've spread thin layers of it on the GPU core with surgical gloves like in Angry_Games' chipset guide. Much less than the ammout of stock TIM it comes with.

I'm no n00b...I've applied AS5 to dozens of CPUs and plenty of GPUs and chipsets.

The Arctic Cooler 5 Rev 3 has many, many issues with a 7800GTX and is inferior to Zalman's GPU coolers.

Also, I tried that benchmark, in a matter of seconds the temp rose from 48c to 100c and stayed there.

Once again, no graphical corruption and I went to feel the air coming from my GPU and it was just slightly warm, the same heat it is when the thing is running 46c on my desktop.

I think I'm going to try the exposed GPU core and check for light idea...