NF4 Ultra-D: no power

Everything was working splendidly until a week or so ago when I powered down fully, and then computer would not turn back on. When I turn on the power supply (not hitting the front button), only 1 led, near the bottom close to the text "COM PORT" flares on and quickly dims. Usually, turning on the PSU from completely off turns the rest of the computer on.

NO diagnostic leds or anything.

There was only one time the machine has turn on since. I put only one memory stick in the YELLOW slot closest to the cpu. I got power and 3 diagnostic leds and long beeps.

I've followed these steps to no avail. I do not think there is an electrical short to the case. I'm familiar with the common problems of this board as I have read about it on websites and forums since it was released.

Is this an RMA?

One stick in yellow slot near cpu will NOT boot that way. Do the cmos clear and install 1stick of ram in orange slot furthest from the cpu if no joy try yellow slot furthest from cpu. The 2 slots nearest cpu will not work single channel must have memory in other same colored slot (dual channel) for those slots to work.

I know all that. Re-read my post - there was only one stick installed, and it was in the yellow slot closest to the cpu, and that was the ONLY time that it DID get power. Later, it did not boot with this same exact configuration.

I have tried every ram slot possible with only one stick at a time, with both sticks (but not both at the same time, so 8 possibilities). The sticks have also been confirmed good in a different machine.

I'll repeat: I am VERY familiar with this board, its history, technology, and methods of troubleshooting.

Search around for a guide on "jump starting" your PSU. If you can get it to start that way, you can rule that out..

Also I'd hope you've already tried taking everything out of the case and setting up caseless..

""Is this an RMA?"" That or the power supply but I think is the board.

RGone...

Everything was working splendidly until a week or so ago when I powered down fully, and then computer would not turn back on. When I turn on the power supply (not hitting the front button), only 1 led, near the bottom close to the text "COM PORT" flares on and quickly dims. Usually, turning on the PSU from completely off turns the rest of the computer on.

NO diagnostic leds or anything.

There was only one time the machine has turn on since. I put only one memory stick in the YELLOW slot closest to the cpu. I got power and 3 diagnostic leds and long beeps.

I've followed these steps to no avail. I do not think there is an electrical short to the case. I'm familiar with the common problems of this board as I have read about it on websites and forums since it was released.

Is this an RMA?

Guest GripS

"I'll repeat: I am VERY familiar with this board, its history, technology, and methods of troubleshooting."

I hate it when people give an attitude to people that are trying to help. If the above is indeed true then why are you here?

"I'll repeat: I am VERY familiar with this board, its history, technology, and methods of troubleshooting."

I hate it when people give an attitude to people that are trying to help. If the above is indeed true then why are you here?

I'm just trying to avoid the obvious troubleshooting tips so I can get on to the more technical, specific things that could be wrong.

Like Lensman's excellent suggestion.

I'd do everything I could to be completely sure that is is not a PSU issue before I RMA the board.

If you have access to a multimeter, or another mobo to test the PSU, you should be able to rule out the PSU as a potential cause of the problem.