CPU fan dying? or settings wrong

Yeah that could be a clue, especially if it seems to be trying to build speed and is unable to do so.. Moniter the rpm of the fan and if its lower than usual or is stuttering you probably have a fan getting ready to go out. Also try cleaning it out, that could be the problem as well.

Could also be that the motherboard spins up the fan to full rpm before the bios processes the CPU temp, then it slows it down because of the low temp. You can check if thats the case by going into the bios and changing the settings for the fan speed, make it spin @ 100% at the lowest possible temp. If that stops the fan from "spinning up" and then getting quiet - thats the issue

Turning off AMD Cool n' Quiet will keep the fan from automatically slowing or turning off which completely freaks people out. I only buy fans I can control now.

Coolermaster Hyper 48 w/ Thermaltake Smartfan 2 (Temps stay oh so low).

Hi All -

I noticed my fans aren't turning! Should I worry?

I have a LP NF4 UT SLI-DR, AMD X-2 3800+, with a Zalman CNPS9500 HS/Fan, Antec True power 550W power supply, and a Nvida 7800GT Gpu.

I noticed that my rear case fan (plugged into MB) and CPU fan do not always run after bootup. I have the Zalman fan control on full and my Antec case fan control on full too. Weird thing the Zalman fan has a blue LED, but I noticed it only turns on at bootup (fan runs full bore for 5 sec. then stops and LED turns off).

This has not been a performance issue because the temps stay low, but I am worried that the MB might be defective or damaged.

From what I have read here it sounds like the fans not turning is normal. So does this sound normal?

Thanks

ok so my fan is still doing it, and now, when i start the computer it spins up, and sounds like a jet engine taking off, then stops, then spins up once im logged in my user and sounds like a jet engine again, but at least it stays spinning while im logged in, i think it might be dying...

well, i do not have cool n quiet enabled, so thats not the issue, it might be the bios, ill check again, and it is the CPU fan, stock that came with my AMD 3200+. its plugged into the mobo, along with other fans, i hope im not overloading the mobo with fans. fans that are plugged into the mobo are CPU, chipset, intake fan in the front of my case, and i have a 3-pin sensor or power line i guess running from my PSU to the mobo.

If you're talking about the CPU fan speeding up at boot up, don't worry about it. The chipset fan hits 7k rpm at boot as well, just the way these motherboards work. There is nothing wrong with your fans, did you just recently purchase the motherboard or had it for awhile? I would suggest on buying the EverCool VR-CE which only will run you for $15 tops. Works better cools MUCH MUCH better and doesn't have that loud annoying jet fan. Good Luck!

It's highly recommended that you remove all fans EXCEPT the NF4 chipset fan from your motherboard headers. Use a fan controller instead, as has been suggested before. Save all of the sweet power on the m/b for running the board and hardware. Power hungry fans on motherboard headers only spell trouble.

You can pick up a nice and inexpensive fan controller from PCToys. I use one of their store branded ones and it's great.