CPU fan dying? or settings wrong

well, every single time now when i start up my computer, my CPU stock fan for my 3200+ doesnt start off spinning. it kinda stutters, spins a little, stutters, but once windows is loaded and i log onto my user it spins up and continues the rest of the time. it always does it, i thought it might be dying, but it still spins up everytime once im into my user. it just doesnt while windows loads or its sitting at the login screen. is it dying? or is a setting just off in either my bios or smartguardian?

What are the temp settings in bios?

I know the expert you set a temp for the fan to turn off if it drops below a specified tempature.

Maybe I'm wrong ... this is my first DFI board.

My initial thought when I first booted up was wtf is wrong with my fan then after a few seconds it came on and went back off. I guess I chanced it by leaving it on then going into the PC Heath menu where I noticed the fan settings.

It seems like the bios settings, in my case it's the chipset fan that does this (as i have the CPU fan connected to hd type connector and no the mobo).

by default the BIOS has the option to completely turn off the fans if temp < 25 and completely on if temp > 50 (or other value).

It seems like the bios settings, in my case it's the chipset fan that does this (as i have the CPU fan connected to hd type connector and no the mobo).

by default the BIOS has the option to completely turn off the fans if temp < 25 and completely on if temp > 50 (or other value).

I'm glad to know I wasn't just making stuff up. :)

Or enter BIOS. Go to PC Health settings and change the following;

CPU Fan Fully On = 25C

CPU Fan Off = 25C

Now your fan will spin at a constant speed no matter what. Smart Guardian is nice, but it's software based (a danger I never want to trust my hardware to).

And it's also a process that runs in the background once you boot. Another thing I just don't like.

I'd recommend the BIOS changes I noted above.

but leaving chipset fan at 100% (which is nearly 7000 rpm) is very noisy !!!

I installed SpeedFan and set it to control the chipsetfan according to the chipset temp, speed from 50% to 80% of full speed, and it's quite good like this: on idle = 40°c, load can reach max 45°c.

but leaving chipset fan at 100% (which is nearly 7000 rpm) is very noisy !!!

I installed SpeedFan and set it to control the chipsetfan according to the chipset temp, speed from 50% to 80% of full speed, and it's quite good like this: on idle = 40°c, load can reach max 45°c.

replace it with this

I had one of those zalman chipset coolers (the ZM-NB32K), but reading here i found some saying that with passive heatsink temp will increase a lot, so i prefered to stay with active heatsink and i installed the zalman on my old Asus A7V133 mobo with Athlon 1333.

anyway, currently with min@50% and max@80 the noise is acceptable, temp too...

I had one of those zalman chipset coolers (the ZM-NB32K), but reading here i found some saying that with passive heatsink temp will increase a lot, so i prefered to stay with active heatsink and i installed the zalman on my old Asus A7V133 mobo with Athlon 1333.

anyway, currently with min@50% and max@80 the noise is acceptable, temp too...

Actually I went from around 50°C to 34-36°C with it - however my air-intake fans are close by PIC

• 2 weeks later...