Sign in to follow this  
Vex

humm, stick on PCI-E 2x!

hi guys,

the other day i swapped my card over between the two slots, (so now its in PCIE4) but for some reason in the nvidia drivers it says the card is only running at 2x i think i may be loosing some speed, becasue before i could get 91k on aquamark now i only get 86k. before you ask, i had to swap them over becase my cheapo watercooling kit has side mounting pipes, and they would have pushed against the card if i had it in the closer slot.

2pci.JPG

any ideas?

Well, it seems you didn't move the jumpers in between the Graphic slots to the other position...if you don't, your first pciex slot will run at its full speed @16x and the second @ 2x....instead of 8x and 8x each....nvidia drivers are not crazy....you just inserted the card in the wrong slot....

i thought, beacsaue in the manule it said they were both 16x, ide get 16x from both...and only get 8x when there joined using sli or other. like u said i swapped the jumpers over, which btw is bloody hard, and now its running at 8x, still not 16x but nvm. and considering theres not much differnce im not botherd

You are right, there's no virtual difference between running @ 8x and 16x

I ran benchmarks on both situations and the difference is totally is 3% at the most....

so leave it both @ 8x and then when you add a second card you don't have to worry about swapping back again

they are 16x CONNECTORS, not slots...if one is 16x the other is 2x...if you put the sli jumpers in sli mode, then one is 8x and the other one 8x as well.