Sign in to follow this  
mung3r

Removed Audigy 2 ZS, Machine Check Exception goes away!?!?

I've been getting Machine Check Exception (BSOD) errors when playing games on my new build. At first I thought it was the overclocking so I reset everything back to default speeds but that didn't do any good. Next I tried installing the latest drivers and still no go.

So I decided to remove my Audigy 2 ZS and the problem went away. Funny thing is, this is the same sound card that I used in my previous build (K8N Neo Platinum) and I never had this problem on that build.

Anyone have this problem and figure it out? It's not a big deal I guess since I can use the onboard sound. But now I have this soundcard that's useless.

I hope its not a prob with the Expert and the ZS cos Ive got a new soundcard turning up today...!!!

As Muppet pointed out, try a different PCI slot. My SB card is working fine in the second PCI slot up from the bottom. I'd read elsewhere that this was the best PCI slot to use for a SB soundcard. If that doesn't work, try them all to be sure. I used to have problems with my audigy2 ZS in another computer. Worked fine unless I went to OC, then it would BSOD. I think the drivers were crap. I finally got better luck installing the driver only without all the other garbage.

Have you tried a different PSU?

You might be somewhat underpowered & the removal of the Audigy put less strain on the PSU.

I have no problems with my Audigy 2 ZS, I use the second PCI slot up from the bottom so if your card was in a different slot try that slot.

My Audigy2 ZS is in the very bottom PCI slot. No problems out of that one either. My first three thoughts would be;

1. Were you running the latest SB drivers when the card was installed?

2. I'd question whether my power supply is up to the task of running all of my hardware. Your's is severely under-rated for an NF4 board. You should be running a minimum of 480W PSW with at least 26A on the 12v line. And please no comments like "well it was running fine on my NF3 or NF2 board". It simply won't power a rig like a DFI NF4 board and all the other goodies you've got in your build.

3. Did you check for any significant IRQ conflicts when the SB card was installed? About the only way to resolve that is to change PCI slot location as was already suggested.

Latest SB drivers installed and no IRQ conflicts. I've tried all three PCI slots and it still crashes. The only thing I haven't tried is a higher wattage power supply. Someone else made this same suggestion so I may consider upgrading now.

I had an older version at first when it started crashing. Updating to the latest didn't solve anything. What old version do you recommend using?