Any answers for this?

Look at the sticky thread about Ballistix RAM. While mosty all reports of memory degrading/dying over time is with 1gb Ballistix sticks, it's still not clear to me if Ballistix sticks really don't suffer from the problem of degrading/dying with DFI NF4 mobos. As I stated in the thread, it's possible the reason we don't have many reports of 512mb Ballistix sticks dying over time is because not many people are using them.

So what I'm saying is it's possible your memory is dying/degrading overtime. If this is the case, just stick with what you can use now and hope for the best. Or alternatively RMA your RAM. However if your only problem is with CPC, I would recommend you stick with your RAM for now until it shows further problems

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did follow the sticky about the ballistix for awhile. It does certainly seem like my modules are slowly dying (I experienced several more STOP errors this weekend which I fixed (for now) by relaxing the timings). I am currently waiting on "OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Gold GX XTC 2GB Dual Channel" to arrive. Hopefully, the OCZ sticks will put an end to this problem (and provide a little oc pleasure). FYI, I will be RMA'ing both sticks of ballistix once the ocz's come in and then sell them on eBay - any takers? ;)

UPDATE:

Installed a second HD a couple of days ago (for dual-boot). Installed a second copy of XP on it no problem. Installed some other software without incident then surfed the web. While opening a webpage the system crashed (bsod, unhelpful STOP error as usual). I figured damn, I've gotta relax the ram timings even more! So I go into the bios and adjust some settings (don't remember which...) and reboot. Nothing happens. I get 3 diagnostic LEDs on. I then powered off, set the CMOS jumpers to clear and wait about 30 minutes. When I restart, I get 2 LEDs. I left it this morning unplugged with the jumper set to clear the CMOS. I will try rebooting when I get home today as well as trying each stick.

Does 2 LEDs mean the ram has been detected and it is hanging on the video card or that the ram detection has failed?

I am currently using the orange slots.

FYI, when I first got the board I used the yellow slots for 3 months without a problem.

I have the tmod bios cd so I'll switch my bios as a last resort if I can't get the rig to boot later today.

UPDATE (for those that care):

My OCZ Gold GX XTC PC4000 ram arrived today (ordered on saturday...how's that for service!). Installed them and tah dah! the system boots (cmos jumpers on clear all day)! Next up, figure out how to oc and get the ram running at pc4000 specs.

Thanks All!

Hallelujia, out of all of us who figured it was the memory, it was. I have fought those two 512 sticks of PC3200 stuff I had until I won and then had no real joy and moved on like I told you up near the first of this thread. D*mn good you got some success going your way man.

RGone...

• 1 month later...