Sign in to follow this  
Conaway

Ultra-D ram upgrade question

i have the nf4 ultra-d (obviously) and currently 1gb ocz vx gold pc-3200. i am looking at getting the OCZ EB DDR PC-4000 2x1024MB Platinum Edition Dual Channel Kit. i was looking at the supported memory speeds for the board on the the dfi website and it says only 266, 333, and 400. does this mean that ddr500 WILL NOT work? i am also looking at possibly getting something faster.

what about anything beyond? i mean, it doesn't explicitly state that anything higher than 400 will work, can you confirm this?

It will handle what ever your cpu will handle may look at OCZs site for a new PC4000 plat. that came out today.

There's a nice explaination of your question in the tutorials section, but I'll give ya the CLIF notes:

Ram of higher than DDR400 will work fine, it's just more than you need at the mobos stock settings. The reason for getting the higher rated ram is for overclocking purposes. If you overclock your CPU too high, your DDR400 won't be able to keep up, so if you're planning on overclocking to the max, it's useful to have the higher rated ram to keep up. I don't do nearly as good a job at explaining it as the tutorial thread does, but that's the general gist. Here's a link to that page:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=DDR400

It's about 1/2 way down the page I believe.