Sign in to follow this  
case

fan connector question?

I just bought pair of panaflo 120mm fans with 4 pin molex connectors ( only 2 of the pins are used). Ideally Id like to be able to use my fan controller to control them but cant because it has 3 pin connectors.

At the moment they are just plugged straight into my PSU leaving me unable to change the speeds, this is ok but they can get a bit noisy

Can I just remove the molex and attach a 3 pin connector? if so what tools will I

need? or can I just get an adapter?

Not as important but...

the fans also have "a have spare pin on fan tail for additional (add your own) RPM" Anyone know how I can hook up these

You have a lot of options.

Move the pins of the fans molex to set for 7 or 5 volts, already set for 12 volts.

Buy an adapter molex to three pin(specify male or female). Modding the fan molex does not use the Controller.

Guest FZ1
yeah, gonna get an adapter so i can run the fans off the controller
That's your best option. Don't give up the control of your fans.

Heh, Oceanborn. You have several choices like stated above. The no cost method is to run 5 volts to fan for minimum speed, 7 volts for mid-speed (be careful of over current using this method), or stay at 12 volts.

The next cheapest method is to go to Radio Shack or equivalent and buy a power resistor to reduce 12 volt line to say 9 volts or 7 volts using your existing connection. The following calculations assume a current draw of .45 amps for a single fan. Value for 9 volt solution would be about 4 ohms with a minimum of 2.25 watts capacity. Value for 7 volt solution would be 2.4 ohms with a minimum of 10.42 watts. I would not personal use a power resistor to drop more than 3 volts because the high wasted wattage. This will be transformed to heat. Solder resistor inline on each fan power wire before the molex connector.

If you are electronic savy search for a custom PWM fan controller circuit to build for the highest efficiency. This will usually cost $7 to $14 an will use less than 1 watt consumption.

The high cost method would be to buy a fan controller such as these:

Two example fan controllers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813999504

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16835118217