SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, this is my second DFI Expert board, as my first one decided to stop working on Friday 3-2-05. :-(

Anyway, both of my Expert boards are unstable in gaming unless I plug in the FDD power plug. The manual states that's only necessary for SLI, so I'm guessing my comp would be unstable comp if I added a second GTX.

Well I've run into more problems with SLI again. I got more random restarts, so I reduced my overclock to make sure it wasn't the culprit. Reduced it from 2750 to 2600, and it still restarted. So once again I turned PCI-e configuration back to 16-1-1-2 and unplugged the power connector to the 2nd 7800 GTX and Im stable again. I can't understand why all of a sudden SLI went schkizoid on me. It went nuts on 81.98 and 84.12 drivers and also the 82.12.

I have no idea why all of a sudden this is happening. I am on the 11/02 bios that originally shipped with my board. I did try to flash to 12/07 2-3 weeks ago and I couldn't even boot with my config, so i reverted and now this is messing up. Suggestions?

Edit: All possible power connectors are connected to the board, including the FDD one.

Just to add my two cents in here: I got my system stable once again on the 11/02 bios with only one video card. Two video cards still cause random restarts while in SLI while in 3D applications (games & 3DMark03). No errors reported via Windows or anything. I suspected the power supply, but if others are having this problem with other supplies, then still still could be the old theory of "SLI is just under-developed crap."

whats odd is that im running most of the same equipment and i dont have any problems?

Amd X2 4800+

Dfi lanparty Sli-Dr expert

2gb(1024x2) G.Skill PC4000 (2GBHZ)

2xEvga 7800Gt Co-Se 470/1100 why the . are these loud

2x74gig Raptors (raid 0)

OCZ PowerStream 520w

whats odd is that im running most of the same equipment and i dont have any problems?

Which BIOS are you using, 11/02/05 or 12/07/05? And how long have you had your computer and been playing games on it? If you have the 12/07 BIOS and have only had your rig a few weeks (or don't play games for long periods of time) then you might not have run into the crashing yet, it is very sporadic.

In other news, I flashed to 11/02 yesterday and haven't crashed since. DoD:S goodness and DDO:Stormreach most of yesterday without a problem. Interestingly, I've only found one difference so far between the 11/02 and 12/07 and it wasn't listed in the changes on the DFI main page for the 12/07 BIOS. There is a setting in Genie BIOS called "Dual NV chip card Support" or something like that, it is right under the PCI Express Configuration setting. In the 12/07 BIOS, this setting is grey and cannot be accessed while the PCI Express Configuration is set to 8-4-NC-8, it can only be enabled when PCIe is set to 2-1-1-16. In the 11/02 BIOS, the Dual NV chip card support doesn't become grey as you change between different PCI express settings, you can access it no matter what setting you are using. I didn't fiddle with it as I am pretty sure it is for dual GPU video cards, but it makes me think that some of the SLI settings must have been changed in the 12/07 BIOS from the 11/02 one. Maybe one of those changes in that area screwed the pooch? Just a theory on my part.

What can U say about Moded BIOS U use??

T-mods bios is no more then the stock bios with a few decisions made for you. It adds no features that arnt already available in the stock bios. For me, it worked fine, and got me running after a few failed attempts to boot my new system. The thing i dont really see being mentioned in this thread is temps. No lie i was locking like you guys described, but a old cpu fan directed at ram cleared all this up for me. Only other thing i changed was disabling anitiscoptric filtering. Sorry i cant give great tech answers, but i can tell the truth.

Hirotaro, i would love to see some pics of your #2 computer, sounds cool.

The thing i dont really see being mentioned in this thread is temps. No lie i was locking like you guys described, but a old cpu fan directed at ram cleared all this up for me. Only other thing i changed was disabling anitiscoptric filtering. Sorry i cant give great tech answers, but i can tell the truth.

Temperatures were discussed in the original thread on this subject and it was pretty much decided that it wasn't the problem. I don't know about every computer but mine is as cool as a summer breeze in the Antarctic. CPU never climbs above 38C, GPU's never climb above 55C and chipset about 50C. Plus one of my side fans is blowing directly onto my memory, and I've tested with the memory running at 2.7v which is understock (default voltage is 2.75v) and still had the crash (even though the comp was dual Prime95 stable). My computer is a veritable tunnel of wind and noise because I'm not shy about having a super loud computer. I just turn the volume up on my speakers. Really, if you can hear your computer over the noise of gunfire, you're not doing it right ;)

Which BIOS are you using, 11/02/05 or 12/07/05? And how long have you had your computer and been playing games on it? If you have the 12/07 BIOS and have only had your rig a few weeks (or don't play games for long periods of time) then you might not have run into the crashing yet, it is very sporadic.

i flashed it to 12/07 day i got it. and its been three weeks. i play bf2 every day