SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

That is the exact same prob I was having; crashes in games, lost the display, and a sound loop...had to reset manually.

This started to happen right after I flashed to the 12/07 bios. Went back to the 11/02 bios and it is stable just like when I first got it.(it came with the 11/02 but after about 2 weeks of ruuning it I figured I would flash to the "better" 12/07 bios :rolleyes: )

For my system 11/02 bios=good

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the exact same prob I was having; crashes in games, lost the display, and a sound loop...had to reset manually.

This started to happen right after I flashed to the 12/07 bios. Went back to the 11/02 bios and it is stable just like when I first got it.(it came with the 11/02 but after about 2 weeks of ruuning it I figured I would flash to the "better" 12/07 bios :rolleyes: )

For my system 11/02 bios=good

Yes i think it's the answer i've been hitting this thing hard.I 've run all sorts of games and 3dmark05 and 06 untill it is comming out my ears.It has been super stable, so maybe we have a corrupt bios flash or something like that.Anyway i think the 12/07 bios is related to the crashing in some way.

Yes i think it's the answer i've been hitting this thing hard.I 've run all sorts of games and 3dmark05 and 06 untill it is comming out my ears.It has been super stable, so maybe we have a corrupt bios flash or something like that.Anyway i think the 12/07 bios is related to the crashing in some way.

Something intrinsically wrong with the 12/07 BIOS itself I would guess, since mine came with 12/07 on it already (and hopefully the guys at the factory know how to flash the BIOS correctly, heh). Let us know if you have been stable up through Friday and I'll flash to the 11/02 BIOS on Saturday (I'd do it earlier except I've got a pretty busy week of stuff to do).

I was just checking to see what the difference between the 12/07 and 11/02 BIOS were and according to the DFI main site:

Major Reasons of Change:

1.Enhance Memory Support.

2.Support AMD Athlon 64 FX60 CPUs.

3.Add over clocks step by step.

Memory support shouldn't be a problem since I believe we are all using pretty decent and common RAM. And I don't know what "Add over clocks step by step" means but losing it probably won't effect most of us. And most of us don't use FX-60's, though it looks like this fix might not work for Liudavid and Doctahg. Looks like you have already replaced your motherboard Liudavid and you might have to do that as well Doctahg. I like DFI and think they are a large pile of general awesomness, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another BIOS update to fix this problem.

Yes that is true, i flashed back to the 11/02 and after 3 days now it's still stable, not one crash.The only problem is why isn't everyone with the 12/07 bios gettings crashes.

Maybe they all are? I wouldn't hazard a guess at how many people have purchased SLI-DR Expert motherboards, but if you look at the poll on this page:

http://www.techreport.com/

you can see that only about 8% of the 3,500 voters use SLI. And I would have to imagine that the demographic of Techreport.com readers is pretty similar to DFI-Street.com's readers. And that poll was started before ATI released the X1900 series, which it looks like a lot of people who want the biggest and the best (which the SLI-DR Expert would come under) are picking up those. Then, subtract all the people who purchased the SLI-DR Expert before the 12/07 BIOS started coming on the motherboard standard, who probably never bothered to flash to a new BIOS if the old one was working fine (which it apparently does) and you probably have a pretty small number of people who are running SLI systems on the SLI-DR Expert with the 12/07 BIOS. Once you have the fairly small number of people who could potentially have this problem, how many of them find their way to DFI-Street? I was just looking around DFI.com and they don't list DFI-Street anywhere on there that I could find. Only reason I knew about this place was because I read a post in some other tech related forum saying how great this place was. Once you have the miniscule number of people who potentially have this problem and find their way to DFI-Street, how many of them troubleshoot their problem so well that they are able to narrow down the problem to the motherboard (instead of the monitor/CPU/RAM/GPU/overclock which would all seem to be more likely culprits than the motherboard itself)?

I could be way off base here but I don't think it is entirely outside the realm of logic to assume that possibly every single person with the SLI-DR Expert with the 12/07 BIOS who is running SLI is having this problem. Just that the problem is so random, and infrequent (I can go several days without a crash sometimes), and so hard to pin down the cause, that there hasn't been a large uproar about the problem. Thats just my two (or more like nine) cents.

Maybe they all are? I wouldn't hazard a guess at how many people have purchased SLI-DR Expert motherboards, but if you look at the poll on this page:

http://www.techreport.com/

you can see that only about 8% of the 3,500 voters use SLI. And I would have to imagine that the demographic of Techreport.com readers is pretty similar to DFI-Street.com's readers. And that poll was started before ATI released the X1900 series, which it looks like a lot of people who want the biggest and the best (which the SLI-DR Expert would come under) are picking up those. Then, subtract all the people who purchased the SLI-DR Expert before the 12/07 BIOS started coming on the motherboard standard, who probably never bothered to flash to a new BIOS if the old one was working fine (which it apparently does) and you probably have a pretty small number of people who are running SLI systems on the SLI-DR Expert with the 12/07 BIOS. Once you have the fairly small number of people who could potentially have this problem, how many of them find their way to DFI-Street? I was just looking around DFI.com and they don't list DFI-Street anywhere on there that I could find. Only reason I knew about this place was because I read a post in some other tech related forum saying how great this place was. Once you have the miniscule number of people who potentially have this problem and find their way to DFI-Street, how many of them troubleshoot their problem so well that they are able to narrow down the problem to the motherboard (instead of the monitor/CPU/RAM/GPU/overclock which would all seem to be more likely culprits than the motherboard itself)?

I could be way off base here but I don't think it is entirely outside the realm of logic to assume that possibly every single person with the SLI-DR Expert with the 12/07 BIOS who is running SLI is having this problem. Just that the problem is so random, and infrequent (I can go several days without a crash sometimes), and so hard to pin down the cause, that there hasn't been a large uproar about the problem. Thats just my two (or more like nine) cents.

Well said, that's a very good argument.

I have been running some overclocks now to see how the go and i'm presently running my 4400 at 2.8 it's stable still no crashing.I think it's also more stable with this bios than the 12/07, so i think i'll stick with this one for now at least until DFI releases a new one.I'll post back tomorrow and Friday just to keep everyone in the loop stability wise.I,m becoming more confident that this is the answer though

Ok i ran Prime for 9 hours and mem test for 8 hours!

No problems!

but my pc crashes in 3dmark06 and also games!

i have no idea what to do!

i have also installed the hotfix and flashed my bios...

someone help?

please...

The issue has been brought to the attention of Angry_Games so hopefully he'll be able to take a look at this thread as soon as he gets a chance.

Until then all I'd suggest is for everybody having this issue to try out the older bios and start playing lots of video games. :) If it turns out that nobody experiences the same issues then A_G can talk with the engineers (including Oskar) at DFI about what could possibly be causing it.

And for that matter, if the old bios seems to cause no issues I'd stick with it, remember the best bios isn't always best for everyone. :)

The issue has been brought to the attention of Angry_Games so hopefully he'll be able to take a look at this thread as soon as he gets a chance.

Until then all I'd suggest is for everybody having this issue to try out the older bios and start playing lots of video games. :) If it turns out that nobody experiences the same issues then A_G can talk with the engineers (including Oskar) at DFI about what could possibly be causing it.

And for that matter, if the old bios seems to cause no issues I'd stick with it, remember the best bios isn't always best for everyone. :)

Thanks TechnoDanVan for the post. We're not (or at least, I'm not) expecting instantaneous miracle cures, but it's nice to know that Angry (otherwise known as the "Uber-Admin" ;) ) is at least aware that there is a problem.

and by the way, I have had this problem from day 1, and I tried everything, including flashing the BIOS to 11/02, and it still crashes.

I got so frustrated with the whole setup that I went and bought me a single, I repeat, single 7800 GTX. Now, I have 2 brand new 6600 Gt collecting dust (thanks Expert).

I can tell you now, after spending over 2 months on this single problem:

1. The PC is rock stable, memtest, prime, etc..

2. Power is more than adequate, TP II 550.

3. Video cards are perfect, (brand new XFX).

4. Memory is solid and passed all tests.

5. Stable 2D performance.

The PC only crashes with 3D applications, with the usual black screen and looped sound.

Last night, I tried the new card and it was fantastic. I can tell you now, after this expensive journey that it's definitely related to SLI - DFI Expert. Somehow with Expert, SLI in 3D is unstable.

I’m hoping when this problem gets solved, I will be able to revert back to SLI. That’s why I bought the damn thing.

Now, off to Ebay

I am aware of the problem as per technodanvan's email to alert me to it

at this time I will tell you what I told him

1. as he suggests, try other bioses. If only the 12/07 bios has this problem, then let me know.

2. If this is only a problem in the 12/07 BIOS, I will alert Taiwan to take a very close look at it, but you guys will have to give me the list of everyone's different components and a short synopsis of the problems you are having.

I know you have done so here in this thread, but here's what you really must understand:

the engineers are not native english speakers, and they have a tough time reading everything at the forums and understanding exactly what the problem is. This is NOT because they are dumb, it is because they speak a totally different language, and we at the forum tend to go off on tangents etc and lose focus of the main point.

Anytime Rgone or I have to deal with teh engineers or higher-ups at HQ, we MUST present them the problem with as little embellishment as possible, and in the most straight-forward, direct manner as we can (ie: GET TO THE POINT QUICKLY AND STAY ON POINT!).

A lot of us westerners don't understand this, and even Rgone and I end up sending rambling emails to them at HQ and they simply don't have a clue what it is we are trying to say to them, or get them to do.

So, as said, gather up the very to-the-point info about exactly what the problem is, include the multitude of different setups, and then either post it here or have ONE of you email it to me so I can send it on to the right people and hopefully get it cured.

also note that I DO check threads but for the last week or more I have been out of my mind trying to fix the webserver problems as well as some other nagging problems here at the forums, so please don't think I have been ignoring anyone (this is also why you have seen a big influx of Moderators added over the last 6 weeks, including AceGoober regaining his mod status as of this afternoon).

I am simply swamped with not only forum work, but also testing/repairing forum users' systems that get sent to me, as well as working behind the scenes with some partners on new products that while are for everyone, are really being geared towards Lanparty (DFI) users ;)