SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to pass memtest but games were crashing until I changed the DRAM Drive Strength to 11. Since then, it's been smooth sailing. Except Oblivion, which seems to crash to desktop everyonce in awhile when the game is loading. For whatever reason, I get the impression it's the software though...

Spoke too soon. It's still happening

It always seems to happen when entering a door. The screen goes black and the sound loops. Then I have to manually restart.

This is using the 11/02 bios BTW.

I can pass 18+ hours in SP2004 custom tests so I don't think it's memory or the CPU.

What would cause it to crash when entering doors? It loads the area and auto saves at the same time. I thought maybe HD but Chkdisk works ok, no issues detected with SMART. I uninstalled the Nvidia IDE drivers etc.

Do you think it's possible the PSU could be causing the issue for all of us? If you look at SLI zone they have changed many of the PSU originally specified as being SLI compatible.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? It it were only to crash on these certain parts in Oblivion (when entering doors) could it be the PSU or is the motherboard to blame?

No this is a bug in the game Oblivion, i have been reading about it on there forums

I'm starting to have the issue in other games now. It will freeze up and the sound will loop really fast, except this time it just gives me an error report instead of me having to manually reset.

What version drivers are you using and what temps are your cards at under load

I too am having the same problems with game crashes. Admittedly my system has become more stable since I downgraded the BIOS to 11/02, but I still cannot get 3dmark06 to get past graphics test 4, and FEAR is crashing in 10 minutes now instead of 3!

I will therefore assume this whole mess is to do with a flakey BIOS. I'll try the new BIOS update tonight, but I wont hold my breath, it mentions nothing about SLI problems being sorted.

What version drivers are you using and what temps are your cards at under load

The Nzone Beta Drivers 84.25 I think. The cards get to about 65c or so under load. I switched cases when I went SLI and my temps are lower with two cards than they were with one card in my old case so I am not sure that's the issue.

I have also has some issue with the sound getting a bit fuzzy and popping so I tried raising the voltage on the Northbridge (audio is controlled by the northbridge right?) that seems to have fixed the audio from popping and stopped the freezing in one game perhaps but I haven't really had time to test.

No Joy with the BIOS update. Got back to the same point as before. 3dmark06 crashes on graphics test one and FEAR crashing in a few short minutes. I'm switching back to one card until someone can give us an answer with this.

Raising the NB voltage in my case hasn't helped.

I disabled autosaves in Oblivion to test and it still freezes.

The funny thing is though is that sometimes it will lock up for 30 seconds or so and then come back, other times the screen turns blank and I have to reboot.

There are people who have played oblivion much more than I have without any of these issues so I don't think its just a game bug.

I can run loops of 3dmark06, play some games a few hours etc and never have an issue but in oblivion and Tomb Raider Legend I get these lockups.

I called EVGA about this,...they told me to test the highest possible PCIE frequency on each GPU (in the BIOS), put both cards back in SLI, drop the PCI-e frequency about 5MHz below max stable on the lowest running card and install 84.25 Beta drivers. Works like a charm for me. Been playin Oblivion for hours on end no freeze ups. :D:D

You know Ive seen others with that same power supply having issues with SLi,...thanks for the compliment by the way.

I have mine set to 111 right now. But yours may be different.

Test each card individually in PCIe slot 1 and find max STABLE PCI-e frequency for each individual card. Once you have tested both cards, take the stable frequency value of the lowest of the two cards, subtract 5MHz and use that as your PCI-e frequency whilst in SLi.