SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

I've been keeping up with this thread for a while even though I've got only one card.. I was considering going SLI. I know a lot of you have experienced good results with the 11-02 bios but thought that you might wanna take a look at this thread I found at the XFX forum especially since most of us are dual core users. It talks about a bug with dual core and nforce 4 and also a registry edit.. if this is old news or doesn't pertain then sorry.

http://www.xfxforce.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=3238

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My board came with 12/7 and I was having similar crashes but not running SLI. I'm running BETA 3/30/2006 now with ATI x1900 XTX and didn't have any crashes last night. I'll continue testing the 3/30/2006 even though someone mentioned it's still based on 12/7.

The only thing I've noticed so far is the PWMIC temp was up over 50C when playing MSFS2004 , my CPU tends to idle around 28C, PWMIC 41C and the chipset at 45C. Under load the CPU gets to about 37C, Chipset about 48C but the PWMIC was up about 52C which seems a wee bit hot.

No program crashes etc yet though

BTW it doesn't report a fan speed for the PWMIC on Smart Guardian, I'm sure the mobo only came with one fan and the CPU with the other. So is this left for a user installed additional fan?

Thanks

Ooops, spoke too soon. My computer is crashing now, but not during gaming, just when using web surfing etc. Going to install the latest nvidea drivers, see if it makes a difference (even though it'll mess up MSFS2004)

Update: installed the latest Nvidea driver and 24hrs and no random crashes (touch wood) this time and MSFS2004 looks great.

Now I just need to workout what all the SLI settings do in the display tab

DFI LanPartyUT Expert mobo (BIOS 11/02 as shipped)

Athlon 64X2 4400+ (no HOTFIX)

2x1GB Geil dual channel PC3200

2xXFX GeForce 7800GT 450MHz (Forceware 84.21)

2x74GB Raptor RAID0

80GB/200GB ATA storage

MADDOG DVDx16

600W XION SLI ready PSU

APC Matrix UPS

Gigabyte Auroa 3D Chassis

Custom Linn Speakers

• 2 weeks later...

My pc was running prime stable, playing all the latest games max setting no probs .

Got the out of "Signal Frequency is out of range" / sound loop error for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and have been following this thread looking for a solution.

The only things that had changed in my system from stable setup to unstable were addition of the x-fi card and video driver updates.

I figured is could be the result of :

1. need for more power,

2. driver conflict (sound blaster /,NVIDIA)

3. hardware conflict (x-fi/ nForce4)

4. heat

It started to lock up from time to time usually two or three hours in to hardcore gaming.

Then the other day booted up and tried to play Need For Speed Most Wanted crashed in less than 10 Minutes. On investigation I realized that none of my additional fans were on! (forgot to turn on the fanbus)

The addition of the sound card had reduced the air flow to the lower card due to the position of the fans in my case. Everest was reporting it up to 10deg C warmer while gaming.

By killing the additional fans I can replicate the problem

So guys I think I could be heat related. A bigger fan seamed to have solved my problems.

Will keep you in formed.

Try sticking a big fan blowing on to the Graphics cards. See if that solves your probs.

Btw running on xp64

hey guys.. i attempted to update my BIOS from first release to the official 4/06.

i was having the Out Of Sync Error with 12/07..

So far its been 3 days and not a single out of sync has occurred..

just thought i would let you know.. you might want to try it.

I have no problems running Sli in any games. As for BF2 have you guys tried changing your sound option in game consel to hardware instead of software. Thats what was causing my crashes. I have ran sli on the expert, Asus A8n-sli, A8N-SLI preium , And A8N32-Sli. Man is the A8N32-Sli one buggy POS.