SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

I would replace the PSU but the expert seems to have major issues with any high watt PSU's. I want to eliminate all possibilities before switching the PSU, as switching would most likely mean I would have to RMA the motherboard due to the "cold boot issue"

Last night I tested the PCI-E frequency at 105 BTW. it still locked up but the loop was slower (instead of the sound looping at a high interval it has slowed down) also after waiting approx 40 seconds or so the game came back as though nothing happened. I will test 110 later today.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, not every one suffers from this issue. So, it's not on people's minds.

It sucks, but the problem is vendor related as more and more Beta is considered stable, "products" being sold without IEEE strict "tick", the whole industry is selling pizza..

I miss the days of X.25 and 802 strong presence; every product had to be searched and searched, standarised before it was spoken; now, it's a car racing game with L drivers, but hey, they're making their money.

No luck with 110 on the PCI-E frequency. I have a feeling going any higher would only cause more issues. I'm going to try a Fortron Epsilon 700W psu and if that doesn't work I am not sure what else to do.

Is your video card overclocked? What BIOS are you running? What sound card do you have?

Im running TOny's e204 BIOS. And I made sure to install windows and all drivers before even plugging in my soundcard to install it. It seems if I install windows with both my vid cards and soundcard in place my second vid card shares an IRQ with my x-fi, which is a no no.

I had these same issues you are referring to you. After three fresh installs of WinXP Pro I think I finally managed to get everything right with this board.

Also, do you have the AMD Dual core processor driver, MS DUal COre hotfix, and necessary registry entries in place?

Just siwtched back to 11/02 BIOS :mad: . I could barely start playing Oblivion and I would either get the freeze screen with lopping sound or the out of frequency error. I'll post back to say if it works under the "new" BIOS...

Just siwtched back to 11/02 BIOS :mad: . I could barely start playing Oblivion and I would either get the freeze screen with lopping sound or the out of frequency error. I'll post back to say if it works under the "new" BIOS...

Did you get the out of range frequency crash before you flashed to the 11/02 bios, because that is the cure at the moment.The 12/07 bios is not quite right for SLI in some machines but there is no common denominator.If you are getting the out of frequency crashes with the 11/02 bios you will be the only one, it has cured it for everyone else.Maybe you could check and make sure it flashed properly, i have not had a frequency crash for over 2 months now since going back to the 11/02 version.

Damn this is a long thread. I'm worried now, my system seems to be working beautifully right now but as Nvidea has decided to stop manufacturing 7800GT cards I snapped one up on ebay ($200 - sweet!) thinking I may as well make my rig SLI when I have the chance but after reading the thread maybe I'll keep my extra card in mothballs now. I also heard MS Flight Sim doesn't know how to handle SLI anyways.

My BIOS version is as shipped the 11/02, the consesus seems to be that this BIOS is fine for SLI mode I think?

I haven't had any problems with the CPU so I've hung back from reinstalling the HOTFIX (before I set up a bootable RAID I tried installing it on my old system and it made my computer act flaky). Should I install the hotfix B4 I make the computer SLI now (I assume the flaky behaviour of my computer previously may have just been that the kernal hadn't reassembled properly as I got freaked out and uninstalled it after one sticky reboot)?

This is my first attempt at building a computer and I'm loathed to fool around with it now as it seems to be running great......then again WTF is the point of building your own computer if your not willing to experiment.

Rig:

Athlon X2 4400+ (no HOTFIX)

DFI Lanparty Expert 02/11 BIOS

2x1GB Geil dual channel PC400 RAM

2x74GB Raptors RAID0

300GB ATA133 HDD

MADDOG DVDx9

600W Xion PSU V2.0

XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme Ed (soon to be 2 cards SLI linked maybe!)

Linnsonic ARTIKULAT Loudspeaker System

i have not had a frequency crash for over 2 months now since going back to the 11/02 version.

Just thought I'd give you guys an update. My experience is exactly the same as Muppet's - it's been over a month of heavy gaming with not one problem after I flashed to the 11/02 BIOS.

Is your video card overclocked? What BIOS are you running? What sound card do you have?

Im running TOny's e204 BIOS. And I made sure to install windows and all drivers before even plugging in my soundcard to install it. It seems if I install windows with both my vid cards and soundcard in place my second vid card shares an IRQ with my x-fi, which is a no no.

I had these same issues you are referring to you. After three fresh installs of WinXP Pro I think I finally managed to get everything right with this board.

Also, do you have the AMD Dual core processor driver, MS DUal COre hotfix, and necessary registry entries in place?

Video cards are not overclocked. I was using the 12/07 bios previously and now the 11/02 bios. I am using the onboard karajan audio. I have looked at the IRQ's and neither video card is sharing an IRQ with anything else. All my programs are completely stable in windows and I have not experience the issue with the limited amount of time I've had with other games (Playing the Condemed Demo, Cally of Duty 2, and Red Orchestra) Then again I have only played them for maybe 1 hour at most. Oblivion can crash anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 1/2 hours into it, always while entering doors as well.