Sign in to follow this  
scyphe

Panic: New built system won't boot

Okay, I got the NF4 Ultra-D, Gainward Geforce 6800GS 512mb GLH and 3200+ Venice, replacing my old nf3 250Gb.

I built it and tried booting up. Fans go on.. nothing else happens.. Checking the LED's I see the first three are lit, the fourth just stays dark.. and the powerled on the case is flashing constantly. Remove all hardware except GFX, CPU & RAM, no go. I've connected all power connectors (ATX, 4-pin 12v, 4-pin molex & 4-pin floppy). One thing that worries me is that my PSU only have a 20-pin connector, not a 24 which is on the motherboard.

I've removed the battery and shorted the CMOS and let it stand like that until tomorrow, I'm too tired and frustrated to bother with it right now. The PSU ran the nf3 250Gb like clockwork (aspire 520W.. not brand-PSU but worked very well for me). Could it be incompatible RAM? TwinMOS matched pair 2x512. TwinMOS isn't supreme RAM either but it'll have to do until I can afford to replace them.

I've put one of the modules in the orange slot and removed the other for the first test tomorrow. But I'm worried about my 20-pin ATX cord and the flashing powerled.

Hardware (I'll change my profile later):

Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D

Aspire 520W PSU (always good and stable values in bios & windows)

TwinMOS 2x512 Matched pair

Geforce 6800GS 512mb PCIe (with power connected to the 6-pin->molex converter)

Is it necessary to use all 4 power-connectors on the board when you've only got 1 card installed?

Please help an old DFI-fan (well, third DFI-board anyway).

yes, all 4 connectors MUST be in, Put the 2 sticks of RAM in the orange slots, try another PSU with 24 pin connector

Thats right put just 1 stick of ram on the orange slot. I put 1 stick of ram on the second orange slot if im not mistaken. Make sure u go to DFI.com to download the latest bios and run it save the bios file to a floppy disk. When u boot your computer for the first time make sure ug o tot he bios to set booting from floppy.

You reboot your computer with the floppy int he floppy drive and once u got your new bios isntalled, go to the bios menu again and load setup defaults somthing or rather. Then u can shut off your comp and put both memory in the orange slots.

That should do it. If u do not update the bios u will only be able ot use 1 mem in 1 slot and it wont boot with both.

Erwin

Yea.......I had a 20Pin 430 Watt Antec True Power it ran like a charm..........with stuff in sig below but I read a sticky here that DFI wants people to use native 24 pin PSU's otherwise well.......your on your on according to the sticky if things go wrong and you need support. DFI didnt give exact reason for needing 24pin PSU and I dont see the difference but probably better to oblige plus you could pootentially kill your RAM...as apparently the power from those extra 4 pins is necessary to feed the memory....I used a 20pin to 24pin converter for my old PSU and well from what Ive heard it strains the PSU to draw power for those 4 extra pins........

Probably better get a good PSU. Thers a sticky on PSUs in the forum and also one not to use 20Pin PSUs.

Hopefully your PSU is not the problem though.......

I'm still waiting for my first DFI board, but from everything I read a 20-pin PSU just plain won't work well, if at all. I've even read that a 24-pin adapter doesn't really improve the situation. If you've tried everything else and still can't get the 4th LED, it's prolly the fact you don't have native 24-pin. I know I'm just repeating what others said, but I guess I'm backing them up. If you can, borrow a native 24-pin from a friend and test it out. If it works you know that's the problem, if not, it could be any number of things, including bad board. If all else fails, send it to Angry_Games.

Success... When I woke up today I put the battery back and tried to start the machine. *Applause* I saw the Geforce screen and then the DFI-logo.

So I built the rest, have BOTH my sticks in the orange slots etc. and booted into XP in safe mode without a single hitch. Installing drivers etc. now. I'll get to the BIOS later (if it is indeed needed).

What made the trick was either having the RAM in the orange slot or the clearing of the CMOS etc. during the night.

If I find any problems I'll report back, but 20-pin was NOT the problem.

Wow.. My CPU is @ 20-22c running stock. I did get a 92mm fan for my SLK-948U, and the computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner with the new casefans (must get a fan controller one of these days).

I'm gonna run some stability tests after reinstalling a fresh XP install. Don't like running a "re-scanned hardware" system. There's always lingering crap from the old system that interferes.