Sign in to follow this  
lacisnot

2.6ghz with 560mhz ram or 2.7ghz with 491mhz ram?

hey..whoops i ment 520 not 560 in the title lol

quick aquamakr 3 test:

2.7ghz with 491mhz - 11200

2.6 with 520mghz - 19000

but i tihnk i have to have the same volts for both any 2.6 and 2.7ghz (1.55)

Seems like quite a spread for 100mhz difference on the CPU..

2.7 with tighter timings... thats wut im doin

ive got 2.7 1.35V

ram at 245.5 with 3-4-3-7 timings.. stable so i guess its all good.. plus 2.6 @ ddr600

and 2.7 @ ddr500 ( i think the 2.7 would win)

well actually... can you use a lot lower voltage on 2.6....

if so i would prob go with 2.6 ... since youll have lower temps and about the same performance

in most apps you actually use..

i only am at 2.7 because i can get it on the same voltage as 2.6

Seems like quite a spread for 100mhz difference on the CPU..

AM3 has big differences in the scores from just minor overclocks thats why its so good to use and see which settings perform better.

My Newcastle has had a sudden jump in life and i can oc 100mhz more then i used to for some reason up from 2500 to 2600mhz. My memory will be @ 235mhz over 245mhz the higher cpu clocks will be better so ima keep my system there. I think you keep the cpu @ 2700mhz.

Youre gonna be using 2.7ghz with 245mhz DDR, over 2.6ghz @ 280mhz DDR. Are the timmings the same ? If they are try and set some memory dividers and even it out. Why dont you just do 270x10 set the memory @ 200mhz "1:1" for 2700mhz with DDR 540 "270mhz".

That would be the best choice

Is there any more proof to the speed is king premise other then 3DMark and other artificial benchies? Just curious as I find the 3DMark programs to really be crap. I long for the days of the Quake timedemos and such that would give real world results for benchmarking, instead of synthetic programs made by companies with an agenda (being paid big bucks). Not knocking anything said here, just honestly curious. I have my CPU running @ 2.5Ghz (11x228 1:1) with my RAM timings at 3,3,3,8 1T and everything seems fine. I'm wondering if using a 5/6 (or 6/5 whichever is right) divider @ say 240Mhz would be a better way to go? From what I've read here it would, so I might have to try it over the weekend... ;)

AM3 has big differences in the scores from just minor overclocks thats why its so good to use and see which settings perform better.

My Newcastle has had a sudden jump in life and i can oc 100mhz more then i used to for some reason up from 2500 to 2600mhz. My memory will be @ 235mhz over 245mhz the higher cpu clocks will be better so ima keep my system there. I think you keep the cpu @ 2700mhz.

Youre gonna be using 2.7ghz with 245mhz DDR, over 2.6ghz @ 280mhz DDR. Are the timmings the same ? If they are try and set some memory dividers and even it out. Why dont you just do 270x10 set the memory @ 200mhz "1:1" for 2700mhz with DDR 540 "270mhz".

That would be the best choice

i woudl do that but i only have a 9 x multi

Is there any more proof to the speed is king premise other then 3DMark and other artificial benchies?

It has been my experience that 3dmarks and other synthetic benchmarks are only truely affected by raw cpu/gpu power and low latency ram. Unfortunitly this isn't the always the same in really world apps. And there are a few games out there such as doom 3 that have timedemos and other ways of benchmarking games.

It has been my experience that 3dmarks and other synthetic benchmarks are only truely affected by raw cpu/gpu power and low latency ram. Unfortunitly this isn't the always the same in really world apps. And there are a few games out there such as doom 3 that have timedemos and other ways of benchmarking games.

I'll have to look into that then. I have Doom 3, I'll just have to figure out how the demo works... ;)

Counter-strike Source has the Stress Test built in. You could always run that. Helps me see how much better my overclock has done. Specially since thats the only reason i overclock, to get more frames in source so i can play it alot better.

It's true, no-one here plays at the resolutions 3dmark uses for it's CPU tests. Other than that, 3dmark is nothing more than a timedemo in varios games. Reality is that if 3dmark did *not* use terrible resolution to test the CPU, and then average those results in, you'd see a much smaller difference between overclocked and non-overclocked CPU's.

With my 6800 (obviously the card is the bottleneck) I see only 1-2fps difference between 2.4ghz and 2.7ghz in the doom3 timedemo demo1. Can someone do the same overclock test with a 7800gtx/7900gtx? Use any game you like, but only use ultra settings.

I believe the end result is that if you care about gaming performance, forget buying all the upgrades to let you overclock. Buy a board that does dual 16bit SLI and buy a couple of top of the line video cards.

Ok, ok... For me, overclocking isn't a means to an end, so who said overclockers were rational. :)