Sign in to follow this  
mbetea

DFI put a spell on me!

Howdy,

I got my first Ultra-D back in September of 2005. Ran fine for a few months, then out of the blue one day it wouldn't boot. Got the beep code indicating a video problem as well as 1 LED that stayed lit. Eventually this happened to me with both 16x slots so I recently RMA'ed it.

Figuring I could keep the returned RMA board as a back up or sell it off I went yesterday and picked up another LP UT Ultra-D. It ran fine for a few hours, then I got the exact same video error I did on the first one!

So I'm leaning towards the idea that I couldn't have gotten 2 bad boards. And I'm willing to bet DFI returns the first board stating that nothing was wrong with it. Unless maybe Microcenter gets defective boards (both boards purchased from there).

But what I don't understand is how do I get these problems with one board after months and another after a few hours? While every component that I used on the DFI boards, I have and am using those with 2 other boards; a Tyan Tomcat K8E (s2865) and an Abit AN8-SLI.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? If not for the first board I could see writing it off just as a compatability issue. But I had the first one running for a while with no problems. Just seems strange. All components are still the same as in my sig.

I've run memtest before without any errors. I also check the PSU with a DMM periodically and there is no Oc'ing going on. Just not sure why there are no problems ever running the other 2 boards I mentioned and that the first Ultra-D ran for a bit.

When I've tried the Tyan and Abit boards, I've made it a point to stress/load the system as much as I could to see if I could either recreate the problem or weed out any faulty hardware. I haven't been able to get the system to skip a beat with the other boards.

I bet its happening with other powersupplies such as mine. An NF4 problem and not a maker problem...very interesting.

I'll be damned if I'm spending another 100 bucks for one locally. *gives nvidia the finger* :P

you always have the option of sending the board (cpu/memory also is helpful) to me to test it with all of the many components I have laying around to see if there's an issue

Hmmm... by the sounds of it you might have a problem with your Vid card. I and several friends have had problems similar to yours where there are video errors and the comp just plain won't boot up. What we found to be the problem was that the Vid card shorted out (either due to high temps or overusage) and it caused probs with the rest of the motherboard. In 3 of the 4 cases we've experienced, changing the Vid card fixed the problem.

As said, could very well be memory issues too. I don't think it would be a power supply problem.

Yeah, depending on what DFI says about my board, I think I will probably send it off to you. I should be getting it back sometime this week.

Guest FZ1
Hmmm... by the sounds of it you might have a problem with your Vid card.
I was thinking the same thing. Has it been volt modded or damaged?

I got my board back from RMA today. Kinda disappointed that they don't include a repair summary or anything. I called them up to see what was the problem, what they did to fix it, etc. They said nothing wrong with the board at all. After I had problems with the 2nd Ultra-D I figured there was probably nothing wrong with this one. And seeing that my components are fine in 2 other boards, it's not my components. But my case :(

Through Antec's great engineering, my P-180 at least, the motherboard stand offs are too tall. Meaning that when I mount the motherboard and install say the video card. The end of the bracket where you screw it down is 2-3mm away from the case. With the DFI boards not having that "locking latch" on their pcie slots (the other 2 boards I tried did have those) I suspect that when I secured the card to the case, it pulled the one end out slightly. I just noticed this last week, or I should say started having concerns about it then. So now I put a shim under the end for a nice tight fit and it booted up fine. At least I do know it works fine and can stop driving myself crazy.

Guest thespin

The amount of things that can cause problems boggles my mind sometimes. Here is another one to file ... :)

Guest bigr5026
Howdy,

I got my first Ultra-D back in September of 2005. Ran fine for a few months, then out of the blue one day it wouldn't boot. Got the beep code indicating a video problem as well as 1 LED that stayed lit. Eventually this happened to me with both 16x slots so I recently RMA'ed it.

Figuring I could keep the returned RMA board as a back up or sell it off I went yesterday and picked up another LP UT Ultra-D. It ran fine for a few hours, then I got the exact same video error I did on the first one!

So I'm leaning towards the idea that I couldn't have gotten 2 bad boards. And I'm willing to bet DFI returns the first board stating that nothing was wrong with it. Unless maybe Microcenter gets defective boards (both boards purchased from there).

But what I don't understand is how do I get these problems with one board after months and another after a few hours? While every component that I used on the DFI boards, I have and am using those with 2 other boards; a Tyan Tomcat K8E (s2865) and an Abit AN8-SLI.

Does anyone have any explanation for this? If not for the first board I could see writing it off just as a compatability issue. But I had the first one running for a while with no problems. Just seems strange. All components are still the same as in my sig.

i shop thare, and know people thare, that work in tech, they did recive a bad batch, and that batch was somewhat suspected damaged, buit at sep. of 05, htye shouldnt have,

i know if you have a bad board, go talk to the manager at one, say you cant afford one, and if you can possibly do a swap, as they did for me 90 days outta the return policy, just tell them what happened, as they rma them with dfi, and they jsut did it for me and a 41 day old mobo, they tok it back, told them i had probs, i jsut got a expert instead of the gigapos in my rig, the chipset got screwed and the sudio did so also,

so, just try thare and try a new psu