Sign in to follow this  
chynn

Which SATA connectors give the best RAID 0 performance???

Remember that a dual core processor on a motherboard is complelety different from a motherboard with dual processors.

How so? I'm not disagreeing, but from my experience, for all intensive purposes it is the same. For arguement's sake, could you please describe how it is different?

Cheers

How so? I'm not disagreeing, but from my experience, for all intensive purposes it is the same. For arguement's sake, could you please describe how it is different?

Cheers

Let's just say there are significant physical differences like the chipset. The nF4 chipset supports a single processor but can function with a dual core processor.

Send some time with Google so the thread doesn't get complely hijacked.

Cesium, about your problem: sometimes when windows see's too mamy HDD errors it switches the I/O mode from DMA to POI which results in high CPU usage during I/O operations, check you hard disk controller settings in the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" select "Properties" click the "Hardware" Tab click on "Device Manager" and go to the properties of the IDE ATAATAPI and check the primary and secondary channels are on DMA mode

ahhhhhhhhhh you got it Dynomutt !

The secondairy controller or my raid (i.e. my 2nd Raptor) report an error.

When i right click on the Nvidia Nforce 4 ADMA controller and i check the secondairy channel my HD transfer mode is set to PIO mode. I have a yellow alert that states "transfer mode downgraded". When i click on it it says that the system has downgraded below the component capabilities because on an excessive amount of transfer errors of the device.

What would you suggest ?

The first thing I would suggest is to replace the cable.

If you are still getting errors, switch it to another port.

If errors are still persistant, backup any data and run WD Diagnostics over it.

Thank you all for your replies. Problem solved.

Put on a brand new cable and away we go !

Random access: 7.6 ms

Cpu utilization: 6%

Average read: 105.8 MB/s

BURST speed: 209.2 MB/s

:nod:

OK I just read this thread most of it anyway. But I'm running my HDD's on connectors 5/6 & 7/8. I thought (prolly wrongly) that you had to use these to use the Silicon drivers.

Am I right or wrong? I gather using 1/23/4 is faster. Is that right or wrong? If I switch them to 1/2/3/4 do I have to use the NV raid drivers.

Soz but it's my first DFI board and I'm still figuring how to get the best out of it.

The 5-8 connectors are for the Sil. Image SATA-1(150) drives. Single they fine,but you are going through the PCI bus.

The NVidia contollers by pass PCI altogether.

But! You will have to break your raid! MEANING! Its a backup, restore after rebuilding the Raid array.