Sign in to follow this  
LedZeppelin31

Hot Chipset Temps

According to both SmartGuardian as well as BIOS and other programs, my chipset temp has been ~57C idle since i got this system set up about a week ago. My CPU temp is only ~24C and case temp is only ~43C.
Is this chipset temp normal?
If not, any suggestions on what I could try?

Thanks

Typical temps for the chipset hover around 50C if you don't have very good airflow in your case. Its technically rated for up to 70C, so you're okay, but I'd suggest rethinking how air moves through your case. You can also take off the stock heatsink and apply some AS5 instead of using the stock 'paste', usually drops temps by 3-5C.

[quote name='technodanvan']Its technically rated for up to 70C, so you're okay, but I'd suggest rethinking how air moves through your case. You can also take off the stock heatsink and apply some AS5 instead of using the stock 'paste', usually drops temps by 3-5C.[/quote]

Yeah airflow is quite fascinating sometimes...today I was bored and decided to rethink my fan arrangement...I have a total of 7 80mm case fans; 2 are 2400rpm and the rest are silent 1200rpm fans. Originally I was trying to make intake and outtake with the same arrangement, meaning I would place 1 of the 2400rpms fans as intake and the other as outtake with 3 or 1200rpm intake fans and 2 other 1200rpm outtake fans (with the additional ventialtion system provided by my PSU). This seemed to work well for my last system.

But later on when I started adding more and more my computer case is flooded with cabling. So i decided trying to place both 2400s in the front intake of my case. That really helped. My Chipset was running about 51-53 idle now it runs 42-46 idle which is a very interesting change.

I guess my old fan setup was creating a vacuum since my intake fans couldnt push any air into the system that well; but with the help of slightly faster fans, I could move more air into the front of the case where the air is generally the coolest.

[quote name='LedZeppelin31']...and case temp is only ~43C...[/quote]
I think this is where your problem is. Having good airflow should keep your case well under 40C, about 38C max depending on VGA/CPU cooling. That should also bring the chipset temp down by a couple degrees.

Normally, outtake fans are more important than intake fans because they create a draft that takes in air anyway. It does so at the point of least resistance. It's your job to make sure this point is where it should be (lower front) by clearing the path for the air and having a nice open intake hole with an intake fan.

Could vary a bit in different cases though, so you will have to try for yourself...