Sign in to follow this  
avman

What's the 'Cold Bug'?

I've been thinking of getting into Phase Change cooling and I want to make sure I'm not going to be wasting my time. I keep hearing about something called the 'Cold Bug'. I think I've seen a couple of people refer to it and Opterons but I've never really seen/heard any details. Could someone please enlighten me?

P.S. See Sig for current rig details.

The cold bug refers to CPU's that will either not boot or will not overclock when subjected to very low temps.

you will get alot of problems if you have a cpu with a cold bug, such as winchesters. when i used my 3500+ with my mach II gt nothing but problems, it would come on but lock up quite quickly. Problem solved when i changed to clawhammer core, my phase change unit is broke now. i personally feel they are a waste of money and way too fiddly especially if something goes wrong.

Guest laydback

I thought the cold bug was the memory controller failing at negative degress?

Anybody know if the Toledo/Manchester chips are affected by the bug?

I believe so although I have no personal experience with phase

do a search at XS you should come up with something

All 0.90 amd cpu's wil have a coldbug at a certain point. Due to the cold the max HTT youll be able to use wil be less. Especially with locked/low multi procs (like most opterons) this is a problem because you wont be able to max out your cpu due to the HTT limitation.

Its hard to say whether your processor will be able to run the HTT it needs to max it out. The temps/max HTT varies from chip to chip... The lower max multiplier you have the bigger the chance youll have "a problem" (as a max multi 10 cpu needs HTT 300 to run at 3.0 and an 11 multi cpu needs only 273 for that). There are certain steppings though that seem to be more affected then others (cab2e for instance is known for not liking the cold, some even start showing probs above/around 0 degrees).

There are some things you can do to increase the temperature and therefore allow you to use higher HTT. Me opteron 146 for example will do 330HTT with -25 in mbm, 1.35X113% vcore. Higher clocks and/or lower temp and the computer wil hang. If i increase the temperature up to around -12 in mbm i can use up to 350HTT.

Thanks Loc.O - That was along the lines of what I was hoping to hear. At least there seems to be some flexibility so even if I eventually run into some problems at least there may be some ways around them to get what I'm looking for ...more speed :) !