lapping

edjahman

I did a search and didn't really find much so I'm gonna ask. I have an SI-120 and I think I want to lap it. What is the easiset way and exactly what materials do I need?

Will it make much difference or is it hard to say?

Thanks!

--EJM

I just went throught the process of lapping my cnps 9500. Kandoo helped me. Basically you go to your local NAPA or auto parts store becasue nobody carrys the grit you need except them. You should buy 400,600,800,1000,1500, and 2000 grit. Just follow the directions on the link the other guy provided thats what I did. Make sure you work on a flat surface and have patience. My fingers were all cut up from the cpu sides being sharp. Its tough to do because the heatsink wants to hop on the sandpaper. You have to put the sandpaper taped down in front of you so that by pushing back and forth length wise you can apply a small amount of pressure on one side pushing and a small amount on the other side pulling. Once you get it down so it slides smooth its a piece of cake. By adding a case fan and lapping my warped heatsink I droped to 37*C fully loaded on prime from around 50. If you need anything else I'm here to help. And look to spend close to 20 dollars for all that sandpaper. :)

I've found over the last 3 years that lapping a decent heatsink will do practically nothing for it except give it a healthy shine...but it won't really reduce temps, as previously stated, more than 1C or 2C

most heatsinks are of such good quality these days and are machine lapped enough that you don't need to bother with this at all (unless your base is warped as was said, but Thermalright will simply replace your heatsink if this is true)

Lapped my DD TDX and got a 4c-5c diff cooler. Did the same with my XP-120 and my Zalman 7000-b. Difficult but did it. What I observed to be one of the most critical part of cooling the cpu is the process of applying the compound and making sure that the contact with the cpu and heatsink/waterblock is as flat as you can get it, very even at all sides.