Sign in to follow this  
Guest jack_merged

Temps

Guest jack

What type of temps should i be getting with the following

Opteron 148 @ 257x11 2.8Ghz 1.44v Artic Cooler freezer64!

Load and idle temp?

Well heres my setup

Wavemaster

2x80mm front

1x80mm rear

case side off

Im getting idle 38oC load 59oC when i prime blend? is that really ok :confused:

Guest jack

what exactly?

Ive now got it @ default core and volts

And 38oC idle 50oC load Prime blend?

QUOTE: "Jack I suggest you use something besides software to check your temps."

Well, that wasn't very helpful.

Jack, first you should figure out what your ambient temperature is in your room around the case. Make sure you figure it out for celcious, makes it easier. Any thermometer will work, just let it sit for a good hour or two before reading it.

When you figure out your ambient, add about 4c to that number. This should be your "inside case ambient" temperature to aim for (or below). Then, from there, you would want to add about 2c to the inside case ambient temperature, and that should be your CPU's IDLE temp.

Basically, your CPU should not idle more than 6-7c above ambient room temperature. If you are, then your case needs modding to get it cooled down inside better.

For figuring out the LOAD temp of your CPU... that varies on a lot of factors. A "good" range is no more than 10c over idle. A decent range is 15c. Anything more, and you may need a new HSF combo, or lapping, or some arctic silver 5 thermal compound. All of those things will help keep your CPU at a lower temp, especially under load.

Big rule of thumb though: Keep your CPU below 50c at all times. Especially if you are overclocking.

If it just aint possible... then you may have to move to more radical cooling methods, OR lower the overclock settings.

what exactly?

Ive now got it @ default core and volts

And 38oC idle 50oC load Prime blend?

Jack I use a thermal laser to check mine but you can use a host of types of thermometers that use either thermal couples or hard probes that are not that expensive to verify temps. With three DFI boards not a one of them reads correct when checked with good temperature measuring tools.

Hat I think you might be a little quick to pass judgment and I disagree with much of what you say for the record. You appear to be basing your information on bios or software readings and they simply are not correct with DFI boards. Great overclockers but terrible at reading temps.

How accurate is speedfan/MBM in comparison to proper methods.

MBM is just using the sensors that the bios and other software uses. Run prime for 30 minutes and then stop it, does your temp go back to idle temp in less than 2 seconds? If you answered yes then I can assure you that your cpu temperature is not being monitored correctly. It would be impossible to take a mass of copper or aluminum and drop the temp that fast, even if the load is removed it would take at least two minutes to remove the energy that has been put into the mass. I know someone is going to tell me about physics and how they have a 120mm fan.

I tried to post the formula for determining the time duration for air cooling to effect the mass but the code does not post correctly so you can view this link.

http://www.aavidthermalloy.com/technical/p...mentation.shtml

Guest jack

TBH and i know this isnt the best way to do thing but with the heatsink i can actually get to the side of the IHS so i decided to put a digital thermometer agaist it and try prime i n blend to see the temps!

Now idle my Cpu reading via mbm5 and smartguardian are

idle 40oC load 62oC !! thats overclocked but prime seems ok

Now the temps report from the thermometer

idle 32oC Load 37oC <---That temp actually started rising by 1 every second until it stopped there?

what could be wrong?

Have you tried removing your HSF and putting a thin layer of Arctic Silver or thermal compound on thinly and re-seating you HSF ?

Maybe it isn't good contact.

g:)

Most people recommend just one dab of arctic silver in the center, and letting the heatsink press it outwards when you clamp it down.

It's what I do. A teeny dab, about the size of a BB.

Arctic Silver 5 isn't dirt cheap, but one little hypo will last you eons.