Sign in to follow this  
pandamonia

Amd 4800 X2

Hi there i am new to all this and i have been reading alot about over clocking and im tryin to make sence of the OC guide.

what i was goin to ask is that i know people are OC'ing to like 3ghz but what i really wana know is what i can overclock to so i can run my PC 24/7 at the max ghz without the chance of me burning it out or breaking something.

i suppose id aim for 2.8 per core and maybe 211mhz on 2-3-2-5 on my ram as i would probly be happy with this to start and play some games and stuff.

im not really interested in OCing for like 4 hours worth of benchmarks im more interested in Ocing and making it more of a longterm OC

if u get what i mean?

thanks

While you will read about those with the 3.0ghz dual cores not many of those really run on air cooling. Probably even less run 24/7 at those speeds but I'm sure a few really do. Do a search for the results of 4800+ overclocks and most seem to peak at around 2.8 for 24/7 operation with 1.4-1.5 volts applied. I have really only seen a couple that hit 3.0 and usually require more like 1.6 volts which isn't good on air cooling since the heat from the big dual cores is pretty intense. There is however nothing cast in stone and each chip seems to be a little different so your results might be better or worse. The only way to find out is to spend a little time reading the stickie guides and then see what yours will do. I run my machines 24/7 and usually will do some bench test higher but rarely do I apply extra voltage and settle for an overclock that runs at default voltage.

I'm running my X2 3800+ at 2.7Ghz 24/7 with no problems so far. It takes quite a few volts though. I am using an SI-120 drawing air directly from outside the case (side fan right on top of it).

Guest thespin

2.7ghz should be okay long term. You won't get many X2 chips much higher anyway ...

Gotamd:

You have a 120MM fan on the side of the case blowing air in and another 120MM on the SI120 blowing on the CPU?

Curious because I am thinking of doing that on my X2 3800+ with a Scythe Ninja, and two SinlenX 120MM 14dba fans (64cfm each). Thinking about having the air blow in, then the Ninja fan blowing air accross to the 120MM fan in the back of the case.

to all you guys using air cooling do you use the stock heatsink and fan? cus dont amd say if u use anything else it will void your warrenty? and on £500 worth of CPU aint that risky?

suppose the good thing about my CPU being RMA atm is that i can get a chance to read about OCing,

am still confused as to what Dividers do and what Mulitipliers do? such as 235x11? is this the FSB multiplied by 11 which gives u the total Mhz of ur CPU?

is there much difference in multiplying your FSB 10,11, or 12 times cus dont u get the same result depending on how high ur FSB is? also is your FSB limited to how good ur HTT is? i think on my CPU mine is pretty good does that mean i can achieve a higher FSB using a lower multiplyer to get the same Mhz out of my cpu?

Examples would help me here as i am new and am reading all that i can

Many thanks

Matt

Please read this, I promise you will enjoy it as much as I do. In fact I have it saved in my laptop so I can read it wherever I go. Your X2 will clock better with this knowledge.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...167&postcount=3

I can't recall how many times I have read through it, knowledge is power. And using that knowledge efficiently is scary sometimes.

So let me get this straight....

if my FSB is say 225 then i multiply that by 12? and i get my CPU speed of 2700mhz?

what is the difference of using 207x13? or 270x10?