Chaintech Apogee Fx71 5600 Ultra Vs. Sapphire 9600

hi everyone, i am really divided 50/50 between these 2 cards, and i just wanted some honest opinions or suggestions from people who knows best. i have been looking at these 2 cards for quite a while now, and i just can't decide on one over another, my girlfriend is getting impatient waiting for me to send her a final link (my birthday present from her) so she can order it, but i don't want to throw her money away. i have already gone back on my word several time, and she's given me a final deadline of oct 1st, so please help me, any comments, suggestions, are opinions are welcome. thanks to everyone in advance.

Chaintech APOGEE FX71 5600 Ultra

http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/...No=14&PISNo=128

(i really think this a good card, the bundle and video output options looks amazing, but i am afraid of all the warnings against GeForce FX cards performing lowly in tests)

Sapphire 9600 Pro Atlantis Ultimate

http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9600proult.asp

(this is the best ATi card i can find, many people have told me how detail and texture really shine on the Radeon series, but i am scared of the reduced pipelines)

once again, thanks to everyone who can help, even suggestions for a another card is welcome, my (girlfriend's) fund tops out at about $240 (incl. shipping), so it's really just a competition between 9600 Pro vs. 5600 Ultra.

-george

Kind of depends on what you will be using it for the most. If you want it for hard core games and nothing else you may want to look into ATI. But then again nvidia's lower scores could always be fixed by a few driver updates. If you want a lot of extra goodies then I would actually suggest MSI's FX5600-VTDR128. It might not be ultra, but it comes with a lot of really neat stuff. Would get it myself if I didn't already have an ATI 9600. Both cards will play dang near any game out right now and any game to come out for awhile.

Up to you, but I would go with the MSI....read the reviews, it's quiet, lots of features, perferoms fairly well, has video input, and it even comes with a remote control, now how cool is that!?

But it comes down to two things, either a slight performance increase, or a lot of really cool extras.

Edited by young-joseph

if extras are your concern then look at the 9600 pro all in wonder. video in, tv tuner, FM tuner, dual head, tv out, and a remote. and from ATI's specs on the card it's got faster ram and core than a stock 9600 pro.

It go with the 9600 pro, Its got alot more features and runs cooler then the nvidia series. As for bandwidth its slightely higher then the Nvidia verson. If you want it That bad now go for it, Other wise Id save some money up and wait for the next generation or cards to come out.

I'm kinda pumped up about the 9600 aiw. because it meets my needs on a home theater pc better than the 9800 aiw I might even switch over to it.

BTW I own a 9600 pro and 5600 ultra... I'd go with the 9600 pro any day over the 5600 ultra or even my 5900 ultra... it's that nice.

read any of the hl2 benchmarks articles and then decide if you want the ati or nvidia card. imho its a pretty easy answer ati all the way.

steve adam your never going to use the extra 128of vid memory no games out now even use htat much and to even fill all 256megs of ram with textures you would have to run games at insanly high settings then you gpu would slow everything down. save some money and get the 128version. most 256meg crads use slower ram to keep the cost down id rather have 128megs of fast better overclocking ram than 256megs that im never gonna use

Edited by fanATIc1205

thanks for all the suggestions. yea, i would like all the extras, but i need the s-video/composite video out, because i just bought a new tv, and although it is not HD, i still just wanna play command and conquer general on that tv so badly, and plus i have an old viewsonic monitor, so if the tv thing works out good, i will just use the tv for a monitor. but yes, the system is going to be mainly gaming, i can't wait to get c&c generals on there, i bought that game when it first came out, installed it on some crappy GeForce MX 100/200, and it was so disappointing. i want those graphics on the box so badly, and i guess that's why i was biased towards NVidia at first, because of the NVidia logo on the box. i was ignoring what people were saying about the 5600 ultra, but i am pretty much convinced on the 9600 pro now, i dont care about the brand, just quality, and if it is not that much more $$, i will definitely get the aiw edition, being able to record family guy on my HD is a much better option than on tape (until i get enough $$ for the DVD set), and i do have a little more slack in my budget. thanks again, and let me know what you think.

-george