Sign in to follow this  
Reinvented

DVD Burners!

lol

I can burn DVD+R's at 2.4x, 4x, or 8x easily (I never burn at higher than 8x even if my media will allow it...too risky on creating coasters even with the best dvd burners)

but I can honestly tell ya from personal experience that the $38.99 NEC 3550A is every bit as good and reliable (more reliable in fact in my own experiences) than the more expensive Plextors (personally I would never own another Plextor burner as I've had 4 now that are piles of utter crap and all 5 of my NEC's are flawless and cost half the price or better)

Sorry about that angry, I shouldn't have said "I wouldn't recommend a $40 drive to anyone". Although you never had problems with yours, others have in the past. Some of the older NECs had problems, but they ironed them out and now make a very good drive. I'm a member of a different forum where everyone burns DVD's, and most of them recommend the Pioneer and NEC.

I've never owned a Plextor so I'm just going on what a friend of mine has said. He bought the SATA model and loves it.

Another vote for the NEC, Ive had at least 6 of them. Using them in my rigs and friends, not 1 failed drive and the firmware is always modded to help with newer media and speeds.

I'm a member of a different forum where everyone burns DVD's, and most of them recommend the Pioneer and NEC.

yep, I've been to some of those forums that link off doom9.org etc that show you how to really get into burning (I had to check some before when I needed firmware upgrade, and then when I wanted to really get into dvd-authoring for making my own dvd's with DV cam footage etc)

they always seem to suggest the expensive ones, but what you (and they) aren't saying is that these guys are into serious burning...either for a living or for pirating mass production etc

so they need to be able to burn 10 disks @ 16x without errors all day long etc

however

for those of us that live at home and are only needing to burn a dvd's worth of info or movie at a time

2.4x is more than enough (as we can walk away and get a pizza and some beer) as is 4x and 8x

I mean, we DON'T really need to have all the fancy features of those more expensive drives

just like we don't need a 400hp engine in our car...since speed limits are 75mph or less...having 400hp is a waste

same with having a dual core 3Ghz rig with quad-SLI cards and 4 15,000RPM SCSI hdd's in RAID-0

totally not needed for those of us that even game heavy...since a single dual core @ 2400Mhz and a 7800GT and a single 80GB SATA drive is almost always enough and sometimes more than enough

lthough you never had problems with yours, others have in the past.

this is true

it is also true about everything though

I won't buy a Chevy truck because I've owned 2 and both were horrible piles of %@#$

yet I've got friends that won't buy anything BUT a Chevy truck since they've owned them all their lives and have never had a problematic one

same with ATI vs Nvidia

Nvidia mobos vs VIA mobos

this vs that

sometimes I think we forget this when recommending things (I know i do when I recommend my favorite stuff)

I've used Sony until I found out that they are made by Lite-on My lite-ons are great cheap quite, burn all formats, I have around a thousand burns at over 7gigs on a 4.3 disc no coasters ever. great drives. Yet then they are the only drives I have used except 'Blony's'. Oh also they are very short drives

Sign in to follow this