Sign in to follow this  
Reinvented

DVD Burners!

Alright, so since my DVD-ROM just died, I'm in the market for a couple of new DVD Burners.

Here's the criteria that I'm looking for.

1) Must be quiet! Not loud spin-ups like with Sony's or what not.
2) Must be cheap!
3) Any color is fine!
4) Must NOT be too long. The shorter the drive, the better!

Looking to see what you guys have for recommendations!

I got a liteon combo drive. its cheap, quite (note: compaired to my last drive which was very old) and its short, not like those older drives. [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005+50001336+1036506654&Subcategory=5&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice="]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....rice=&maxPrice=[/url]

Guest GripS
This is a good one for cheap:

[url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152058"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16827152058[/url]

[quote name='Reinvented']Alright, so since my DVD-ROM just died, I'm in the market for a couple of new DVD Burners.

Here's the criteria that I'm looking for.

1) Must be quiet! Not loud spin-ups like with Sony's or what not.
2) Must be cheap!
3) Any color is fine!
4) Must NOT be too long. The shorter the drive, the better!

Looking to see what you guys have for recommendations![/quote]
NEC 3550A DVD-RW

burns all formats

is less than $40 at newegg

I have 5 of them (from the 2500A up to the new 3550A's and none of them have ever broken down on me, all burn excellent)

I would suggest a Pioneer or Plextor. I've noticed that when you check your Transfer Mode in Device manager, a hard drive will come up as DMA Mode 5 or 6. A Pioneer or Plextor will come up as DMA Mode 4. Those cheaper DVD-RW drives will come up as DMA Mode 2. When you have one of those slower drives, you will have to slow your burn speed down to 4X even though they claim to be a 16X burner. They may be able to burn at 16X and play fine in that same burner you used to burn it in, but you have problems when you try to play it in a standalone player unless you burn at 4X.

I'm not saying that Pioneer and Plextor are the only good burners, I just know that I wouldn't recommend a $40 drive to anyone. My Pioneer cost me $90, a Plextor is $100 and a Samsung is $40. I haven't burned a coaster with it yet and I burner a few coasters with that Samsung.

I read somewhere that Sony drives are made by Lite-on, but I can't say it's true.

Manufacturers are always improving on their hardware, so you may get lucky and get a good drive for cheap.

[quote name='Donski']I would suggest a Pioneer or Plextor. I've noticed that when you check your Transfer Mode in Device manager, a hard drive will come up as DMA Mode 5 or 6. A Pioneer or Plextor will come up as DMA Mode 4. Those cheaper DVD-RW drives will come up as DMA Mode 2. When you have one of those slower drives, you will have to slow your burn speed down to 4X even though they claim to be a 16X burner. They may be able to burn at 16X and play fine in that same burner you used to burn it in, but you have problems when you try to play it in a standalone player unless you burn at 4X.

I'm not saying that Pioneer and Plextor are the only good burners, I just know that I wouldn't recommend a $40 drive to anyone. My Pioneer cost me $90, a Plextor is $100 and a Samsung is $40. I haven't burned a coaster with it yet and I burner a few coasters with that Samsung.

I read somewhere that Sony drives are made by Lite-on, but I can't say it's true.

Manufacturers are always improving on their hardware, so you may get lucky and get a good drive for cheap.[/quote]

lol

I can burn DVD+R's at 2.4x, 4x, or 8x easily (I never burn at higher than 8x even if my media will allow it...too risky on creating coasters even with the best dvd burners)

but I can honestly tell ya from personal experience that the $38.99 NEC 3550A is every bit as good and reliable (more reliable in fact in my own experiences) than the more expensive Plextors (personally I would never own another Plextor burner as I've had 4 now that are piles of utter crap and all 5 of my NEC's are flawless and cost half the price or better)

[quote name='Donski']I would suggest a Pioneer or Plextor. I've noticed that when you check your Transfer Mode in Device manager, a hard drive will come up as DMA Mode 5 or 6. A Pioneer or Plextor will come up as DMA Mode 4. Those cheaper DVD-RW drives will come up as DMA Mode 2. When you have one of those slower drives, you will have to slow your burn speed down to 4X even though they claim to be a 16X burner. They may be able to burn at 16X and play fine in that same burner you used to burn it in, but you have problems when you try to play it in a standalone player unless you burn at 4X.

Manufacturers are always improving on their hardware, so you may get lucky and get a good drive for cheap.[/quote]

I heard the same rumor that Sony is just a bunch of rebadged Lite-On drives.

Travis and other post who linked me to that drive - looks good. Although, it went up in price. It's not too long is it? I'm looking for a short drive, because of the watercooling. ;)

[quote name='Reinvented']I heard the same rumor that Sony is just a bunch of rebadged Lite-On drives.

Travis and other post who linked me to that drive - looks good. Although, it went up in price. It's not too long is it? I'm looking for a short drive, because of the watercooling. ;)[/quote]
mine are not as short as teh Asus 52x cd-rom's (those suckers are super short) but they are not longer than a standard drive...I use watercooling in all my rigs that have one except my server and no issues (and all different cases)

[quote name='Angry_Games']NEC 3550A DVD-RW

burns all formats

is less than $40 at newegg

I have 5 of them (from the 2500A up to the new 3550A's and none of them have ever broken down on me, all burn excellent)[/quote]
listen to the man :)

Sign in to follow this