No Dual Channel with OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 DDR400 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K

I posted a thread over @ Bleedinedge in the OCZ support forums.. we haven't been able to figure out a solution. I can't imagine that both my Mushkin HP 4x512mb sticks were bad (I RMA'd them) AND these OCZ sticks are bad too both being ordered from Newegg over the last two weeks..

This is my post from BE:

• OCZ part number:-OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K
  • Module size and kit size:-2GB, 2 x 1GB
  • CPU model and rated speed:-Athlon 64 X2 4400+
  • Overclocked CPU speed:-
  • Divider and FSB used:-1:1, 200MHz
  • Motherboard and revision:-nF4 SLI-DR Expert
  • Motherboard Bios rev:-12-07-05
  • Video card:-eVGA 7800GT N517 PCie 16x
  • Power supply:-Silverstone SST-ST60F 600
  • Operating System:-XP 32bit
  • CPU and System Cooling:-OE AMD
  • CPU and System temps:-
  • Purchased at/on:-Newegg, this week

Hey guys, I just got my new RAM from Newegg to replace my RMA'd Mushkin stuff. I was all excited read up about all the great stable setups and when it arrived I started from the bottom. I tested each stick in Memtest86 separately and all was fine. Went into my bios to change the settings for a stable boot with a signle stick.. fine.. switched sticks.. fine. Time to go dual! nope. It won't post in dual channel mode 1T or 2T. I can run single channel mode and boot to Windows with both sticks, one stick in DIMM slot 1 and the other in 2. I'm running 2.71v DRAM Voltage and here are my current settings:

DRAM Freq Set: 200MHz=RAM/FSB:01/01

CPC: Enable

Tcl: 2.0

Trcd: 3

Tras: 8

Trp: 2

Trc: 10

Trfc: 16

Trrd: 3

Twr: 3

Twtr: 2

Trwt: 3

Tref: 3120

Twcl: Auto

Bank Interleave: Enabled

Skew Control: Auto

Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Strength: 9

DRAM Data Drive Strength: Level 1

Async Latency: 8ns

Response Time: Normal

Preamble Time: 6ns

IdleCycle Limit: 64

Counter: Disable

Queue Bypass: 16x

Bypass Max: 4x

32 Byte Granularity: Diable (4 Bursts)

It's all based off the stable setup for this RAM on the DFI nF4 boards in this forums stable setup DB. I've looked around DFI-Street as well but not found anything as exact. I await some sort or direction as I'm out of ideas at this point..

as the thread went on I cleared the CMOS again and posted my CPU-Z results:

Memory Slot #1

200MHz

Memory Slot #3?

200Mhz

weird it says slot 1 and 3 when I have slot 1 & 2 occupied (farthest yellow and orange slots ie. single channel)..

then I posted my Memtest results:

Memory Slot #1

200MHz

Memory Slot #3?

200Mhz

weird it says slot 1 and 3 when I have slot 1 & 2 occupied (farthest yellow and orange slots ie. single channel)..

Most recently I cleared the CMOS again to set the drive strength to 10 changing nothing else.. still no post when attempting dual channel. So that's what we've done.. At this point I'm at a total loss.. :confused:

Hi, I guess Ryder helped you at BE. IWe can go over a few points and maybe we can figure out what is up.

You have changed memory. We are pretty sure that's not the issue. You are using all the same components and have not swapped to test I assume.

The Silverstone PSU. It has 4 x 12v rails, so I am wonndering if the Expert board is being powered properly? Splitting up the power over 4 rails would leave you with 4 rather weak rails. If you have the 4 rails loaded improperly this may cause problems. Also if you have large 5v draw from USB devices, the 24a -5v rail is very low. Given the power requirements of this board (even more severe than the standard DFI SLI boards) I have to wonder if the extra load required for dual channel might be causing you problems. You might consider purchasing a more conventional PSU locally that is on the DFI PSU list and test with that. Make sure you can return it for a full refund if need be. This may sound strange but I have seen PSU's cause all kinds of issues. If you know of other Expert users that have this PSU running, the I would just disconnect anything uneeded. You might try disconnecting the PCI-e power connector and see if it will boot in dual channel like that. It may tell us something.

Disconnect all USB except for mouse/keyboard and test. USB devices can cause strange behavior at times.

Your timings appear OK and I assume that Ryder had you try his.

Maybe someone else has some ideas?

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Can't get it to run in anything other than 133 mhz in dual channel. OCZ is taking my RAM back, and sending me a pair that was tested in this motherboard. I'm using the Ultra-D..... Also my PSU somehow made it to the do not buy list, even though I JUST BOUGHT IT A MONTH ago and its 550w. Didn't know I was upgrading to this DFI board, or NF4 for that matter since I didn't want to upgrade my AGP card that I spent 520.00 a year ago. Well I was SUCKERED in and now here I am trying to get my system just to BOOT RIGHT let alone work right and I've spent well over 500+ dollars in this machine and its running SO MUCH WORSE and COSTING ME SO MUCH MORE MONEY than my old NFII ultra system. I'm getting so mad at these computer companies. With the NFORCE 4 I've never EVER seen so much incompatibility and inconsistancies. I don't know whats up with the computer industry but it seems like its going way way down hill and fast.

Exactly, the biggest issue I had with nF2 was bios corruption, beyond that it pretty much just worked. The transition to nF4 has been.. painful, whether its due to PSU connectivity, PSU power, complex memory settings, nvidia drivers etc..etc..etc..

To be fair though, this is the price we pay for performance. But yes, I too have spent a LOT of money on parts & had a lot of problems.

Anyone that has no dual channel running can email me and we will figure it out!

Not all PSU's (especially cheaper lightweight models; bad sign!) are created equal. The rating methods vary and there is a ton of junk sold as top rate products. A good PSU should weigh about 6lbs as a rule of thumb. Then it needs to be on the approved list or you may be wasting your money.

My .02c

Thanks

Are you using the 2 orange slots???

I posted a thread over @ Bleedinedge in the OCZ support forums.. we haven't been able to figure out a solution. I can't imagine that both my Mushkin HP 4x512mb sticks were bad (I RMA'd them) AND these OCZ sticks are bad too both being ordered from Newegg over the last two weeks..

This is my post from BE:

as the thread went on I cleared the CMOS again and posted my CPU-Z results:

then I posted my Memtest results:

Most recently I cleared the CMOS again to set the drive strength to 10 changing nothing else.. still no post when attempting dual channel. So that's what we've done.. At this point I'm at a total loss.. :confused: